cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Voicemail retrieval

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Can anyone advise on how to program an iPhone running iOS 10 to use the Voicemail button to retrieve the voicemail messages? Right now it says "Call Failed", same if I hold "1" on the keypad...

I've searched the forums I can't find anything that works.

11 REPLIES 11

asimba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Haha, sorry @MK78, didn't realize I was quoting you but also answering the originator of the issue.

I would imagine local access numbers would be important when you're in a different province (if you only have province-wide calling on your plan). 

MK78

Is there any advantage to using one of those numbers vs your own number?

BTW, here are the complete instructions.. This should be added to some kind of FAQ or setup instructions for iPhones on Public Mobile.

Check Voicemail Retrieval Number

1 Click the Phone icon.
   2 Choose Keypad.
   3 Input  *#5005*86#.
   4 Press Call to show the status.

Program Voicemail Retrieval Number

1 Click the Phone icon.
   2 Choose Keypad.
   3 Input *5005*86*+1YOURNUMBER#.
   4 Press Call to program the number.

Delete Voicemail Retrieval Number

1 Click the Phone icon.
   2 Choose Keypad.
   3 Input  ##5005*86#.
   4 Press Call to delete the number.

asimba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I dug up an old post from one of the Mods regarding VM access numbers. Have a look and take your pick to insert your appropriate location access number:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/access-voice-mail-out-of-home-...

Use the code by @MK78 above to insert it into your phone.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah once you can find out what is the VM access number for your area then it is pretty simple to manually program iPhone VM as per below.

Tap the “Phone” icon, then "Keyboard" to access the dialer.

Enter “*5005*86*0123456789#” using your phone's keypad. Exchange the “0123456789” for the area code and voicemail number you want to use.

Mine here in BC is 17785804002

MK78

Actually, i googled around and found the code... have to enter it in the phone keypad and press the call button.

*5005*86*0123456789# 

where 123456789 is your number... works perfectly...

I just swithched back to Android, so I don't have an iPhone to reasearch.

Thoughts, look for something in the phone app or contacts to setup quick dial numbers.

MK78

its 647.. it works when I dial my own number like it's supposed to, but I've looked at all the settings I don't see a place to program it...

What area code are you in?  Maybe someone can give you the phone number to program in.  I'm in 226, and it calls a London, ON number for me.

MK78

Yep, rebooted, I even plugged it into iTunes and didn't get any message like "New Carrier Settings available" like I've seen in the past with previous providers...

Everything else works fine, calling, texting, data, etc was setup automatically. Just not the voicemail retrieval... Not sure if the voicemail notification works if this isnt set up correctly, i'll have to try it.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

You can call your own phone number from the cell, and get voicemail that way.

Have you tried rebooting you phone?  Maybe a carrier setting hasn't been applied?

Need Help? Let's chat.