cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5s APN not allowing Safari and other Application access

StevePapa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have an iPhone 5s and a recent PM Sim card. My cell phone and texting works fine, but cannot use my data. Can use some other data apps (Instagram, Snap chat) but when I go into CELLULAR DATA NETWORK (under Cellular option)- my APN settings is "isp.mb.com".

Under "General" setting in "About" carrier setting says "Public Mobile 25.0".

I used to see and have ability to toggle SAFARI and other apps on and off from CELLULAR setting- no its gone.

Is this an iOS upgrade fix- as I do not have the new 10.3.3?

My father has PM and his iphone 5 has all of the functionality with DATA and his APN setting is "isb.mb.com" and running version "Public Mobile 28.3".

Not sure how to get the APN reset so I can get data to work again. If anyone in the community can help with a step by step process that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi aip0401,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

At first, please make sure to get the right APN settings into your device by referring to the following link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/iPhone-Update-and-APN-settings/m-p/1610...

If you are able to use the Data service on other application, it seems that your issue is related to a software conflict matter and for this case, you need to contact Apple for further assistance.

I hope that the link will help you to solve your problem.

Cheers

Abdoulaye

aip0401
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm on iOS 10.3.3, with carrier version 28.3.  The iPhone 5s is still supported for iOS 10, so try upgrading the OS first to see if it can help solve your problem.  While it is a bit older now, the 5S is still supported by Apple (even through to the upcoming iOS 11), so I can't imagine the phone being a barrier to you being able to access data online.

StevePapa

Tried that already and it does not work. What iOS version are you on? Maybe that has something to do with it. 

Any other settings you know about would help. 

Thanks to all

jasmina0m
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Try updating your iOS. Best of luck

aip0401

Hi @StevePapa,

Just a shot in the dark, but did you try "isp.mb.com"?  That's the setting I have on my iPhone and it hasn't changed from when I switched over to PM.

StevePapa

Thank you for the reply. 

I have tried changing APN as you suggested but does not work. 

Regarding cellular access to all applications- when you click "cellular" then scroll down and see the list for "cellular data options" i should be able to see a list of all applications that could use Cellular data and have ability to toggle "on" or "off". I only see "wallet" and no other applications such as "safari" for internet, "instagram" etc. 

Maybe their is an APN for Publjc mobile for version 25.0 that needs to be entered. 

Or or I maybe need to backup phone - update iOS and then reset phone to get new PM settings?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@StevePapa Try changing the APN to sp.mb.com; that helps some people. And yes, you are on a older carrier setting; you may need to update to 10.3.3 to get your father's.

Perhaps, explain more about toggling cellular data on/off. Do you mean updates for apps?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mhaider

It seems to be a carrier settings update issue.

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update using these steps:

1. Make sure that your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.
  3. To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.

or try resetting your network settings on the iPhone:

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Need Help? Let's chat.