cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long porting landline number to Public Mobile

adambigallow
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How long porting landline number to Public Mobile ? thanks information.

8 REPLIES 8

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@adambigallow 

Like many have said, it generally takes a few days.  Between mobile numbers, the systems talk to each other and are more or less automatic.  From what I've seen, this "automatic" process doesn't happen with landline account.  My guess is that manual verification of account-holder information is verified before the telco releases the number.  This compares to a mobile number where an SMS message can be sent to confirm whether the transfer is authorized or not.  Regardless, have your landline account information on hand and ready to submit for porting.

@Jennalynn - Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile are essentially the same company (owned by Telus) so an "internal" landline transfer may be quicker.  However, as many people may be from a different landline provider, the process usually takes longer and the authentication process is usually a bit different.  Have you ported/transferred a landline recently?  If so, please share your experiences!!!  My experience is a bit dated now.  🙂

Jennalynn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

And note, it is important to know that Koodo does activate PM

Jennalynn

It depends where you are. Koodo stores do activate and port for you.  They set up your sim, and line and you go online to activate an account.

In southern  Ontario, land line transfer is as fast as cell line transfer and yes, it can take a few hours, but as I said previously, mine was 10 minutes.  Tested and done.  But I was with Cogeco. It may be longer with say Bell...

@Jennalynn  landline takes long, can't be done within couple minutes

(outgoing calls would work immediately , but not incoming calls from landline porting)

Also, as far as I know, most Koodo store won't activate PM services

Jennalynn

This depends if you are in a koodo store in order to set up your plan and you are taking your land line number with you.  if this is the case, it can take up to a few hours, but is very much the same as porting any number from any company.  So, in my experience, 10 minutes.  They are fast.  I recommend using a koodo dealer store to do any set up because it makes it very easy for you and you know things are done right and quickly.

With a koodo store doing your set up for you, I'd give it about 10 minutes to half and hour.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@adambigallow  depend on the source provider and the complexity, but usually porting from landline and VoIP takes as many as 5 to 10 business days.  

@adambigallow 

To add to @hTideGnow post above -

If you already started the porting process, do not cancel your landline. It will be cancelled automatically when calls start coming to your cell phone.

Note, Incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@adambigallow  depend on the source provider and the complexity, but usually porting from landline and VoIP takes as many as 5 to 10 business days.  

Need Help? Let's chat.