cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

end of 3g service

Webb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi folks,

Webb here. Don't need support on this but I think it is important the community be made aware of this development. Just learned yesterday (28 June 2022) that effective 01 July 2022, Canada Day, the Americans will no longer be accepting 3G calls or texts on mobile communications. Seems this end of service has been in the works since February of 2022, but I for one am just learning about it now. If you have a 3G phone as of Canada Day you will no longer be able to call or text into the United States. Service on 3G throughout Canada will not be effected.

Here is my hope for the future on this file. That Canada set her own course, and not follow the US lead. If Canada's mobile phone industry can keep 3G service going then those of us who don't have any reason to call or text the US and who may be strapped for cash can still communicate within our country with 3G phones. Just because 3G technology may be old, it still works. In continuing it's use Canada can show the world that we don't leave the less fortunate among us behind as technology advances. 

Why should the Americans be the ones to set the pace? It is not like all the ideas coming out of the States in the last 10 years or so have all been home runs, right? They had Trump as President which reawakened hate, almost led to a second American revolution, and still may in the coming years lead to a second US Civil War. Not only that, while they have the right to bear arms, it doesn't look like they can use their guns to stop nut bars from wasting the lives of their children. The next generation of angry gun toting Americans. Point is, just because a Yank has an idea, does not make it a good one. Staying with 3G mobile technology in Canada seems to have more benefits to all of us, than dumping it and forcing the purchase of more expensive 4G and 5G phones.

Is there any way Canada's freight paying mobile users can impress upon Public Mobile and other service providers to maintain 3G service, so no one gets left behind?

I will be interested in some feedback.

DW

16 REPLIES 16

casaraku

AT&T announced that it will finish shutting down its 3G network by February 2022. Verizon announced that will finish shutting down its 3G network by December 31, 2022. T-Mobile announced that it will finish shutting down Sprint's 3G network by March 31, 2022 and Sprint's 4G LTE network by June 30, 2022.

casaraku

They do not share or co-operate....look what happened with Rogers....no plan. Each checks out the other to see where they can profit on the others weakness or limited options... You have to do your homework.

casaraku

And now PM has 4G plans that is more expensive than videotron....10Gbs for $40. Maybe they are a provider? Like computers the older and slower they go the longer time you are on them...I personally do not live online or social media so PM is fine for me for now. I have a computer at home and a decent plan...and canada has little competition and the government (CRTC) likes it for the taxes from the high prices like energy....and the story with Rogers... to big to fail...

Webb

How's your 3G or 2G transmissions into the E S A going? Are they getting through? The rest was merely opinion that I have a right to hold in a democracy. Opinions are just like a certain human posterior body part. We've all got one.

DW

Webb

Over the years, an unmistakable pattern of behaviour from the citizens of the E S A. Google British author D. H. Lawrence and his opinions on Americans. Note when the date he commented, and try to convince yourself that things in the E S A haven't just gotten worse, and will likely never change, until they destroy themselves.

DW

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

That sounds odd, and backwards re the 2g in the US. Are you sure? How do we tell if our devices can even handle 2g anymore ? Why kill 3g but keep 2g? 🤔

HI @Pawprints1986   Yes, most phones you get, at least those North American model, can backward compatible the 2G network.  Just pick 2G or GSM from the menu if it does not automatically connect

jyb

Thank you for your uneducated political rant. I had thought this forum community was for Public Mobile information and not a platform to rail against our great neigbor and former president.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine if we wanted to call/text into the US from Canada, it'd be converted to whichever technology they use by their carrier in transit ? 

It's already transitioning between providers, so I'd assume the various technologies can communicate with each other too?

I agree. Same as with rotary phones; if somebody calls you using rotary phone you phone will ring. And if you call somebody using one system while they are on another one, call should go through...

@Pawprints1986 

Yes, i'm absolutely certain. T-mobile will have a 2g network for longer than they will have a 3g network.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That sounds odd, and backwards re the 2g in the US. Are you sure? How do we tell if our devices can even handle 2g anymore ? Why kill 3g but keep 2g? 🤔

Yeah I was taking it he meant calls/texts from within the US on a PM roaming plan 

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd imagine if we wanted to call/text into the US from Canada, it'd be converted to whichever technology they use by their carrier in transit ? 

For example, I can set my device to 3g only, and my families device is set to auto (so 4g by default) and I'll still get their texts and I can send them texts. Calls I'm unsure if they also go to 3g or if they have volte but either way, our devices communicate still. 

It's already transitioning between providers, so I'd assume the various technologies can communicate with each other too?

There's no change for Public Mobile customers sending text messages from Canada into the U.S.  I can only assume that was a typographical error in the previous message post. The type of netowrk that the receiver of a text messages is using is irrelevant.  It's up to that carrier to deliver it.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

For example, I can set my device to 3g only, and my families device is set to auto (so 4g by default) and I'll still get their texts and I can send them texts. Calls I'm unsure if they also go to 3g or if they have volte but either way, our devices communicate still.

@Webb wrote:

Seems this end of service has been in the works since February of 2022, but I for one am just learning about it now. If you have a 3G phone as of Canada Day you will no longer be able to call or text into the United States.

This isn't correct.  T-Mobile will still have a 2g GSM network.  This means that calls, texts, and data will be avaialble on the 2g network and text messaging and data will be available on the LTE network when in the United States on the T-mobile network.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Rest assured, PM teams are on top of things and likely some key changes will be deployed later this year. 

I agree with what you are saying. My question to you is that do we really need 5G for cellular phones? I don't think so, LTE is working great even at throttled speed and there is no need to upgrade. But unfortunately, we will be forced to upgrade eventually and pay the premium price just like 1GB home internet plans when 100mbps speed was totally fine. They stop offering old technology and services because people will stick to them and pay less to save money. What can we do? Our CRTC folks get paid to think about all of this, but who knows what they do instead 🤷‍

JL9
Mayor / Maire

wow - seamless segue there.

Need Help? Let's chat.