cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data on messenger, but not google

Twodee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My friend's Samsung used to get data on all apps but now only on Messenger. Data usage shows google used data as of May 1st, but nothing recently while messenger continues to function, data is turned on, phone has been rebooted, APN is rechecked and accurate. What can I do to get all apps working again? Everything works on wifi, when they are at work, without wifi there is a problem.

4 REPLIES 4

Twodee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes Facebook Messenger, but no not Google chrome, google search, the red, yellow, green, and blue "G" in your apps.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Twodee 

Try this...

Try Changing DNS to Fix Apps Not Connecting To Internet

Sometimes, changing DNS can fix the apps on your phone not working on mobile data. For instance, PUBG Mobile, despite being banned in India, works fine with Google DNS, in addition to VPN networks.

Google’s Public DNS

To change the DNS, go to your phone Settings > Wifi & Network > Private DNS. Change it from Automatic to Private DNS. Then, enter dns.google as the hostname of the DNS provider. Then, click Save.

@Twodee wrote:

My friend's Samsung used to get data on all apps but now only on Messenger. Data usage shows google used data as of May 1st, but nothing recently while messenger continues to function, data is turned on, phone has been rebooted, APN is rechecked and accurate. What can I do to get all apps working again? Everything works on wifi, when they are at work, without wifi there is a problem.

When you say Messenger but not Google, do you mean Facebook Messaenger and Google Chrome?  Both use the same APN settings. However, loading websites could come across DNS issues.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can you get an image of their APN settings? Kinda hard to do this second hand. Does the phone have data saver on?

Need Help? Let's chat.