cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data not accessible for messaging app

wicasa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I'm trying to register signal (messaging app) for Android using my lte data, and it gives me an error that signal server cannot be reached using mobile data (although my data works for everything else, and I receive the activation sms).

My guess is for whatever reason, signal server is being blocked on public mobile. Can you reflect this problem to the appropriate channel.
19 REPLIES 19

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wicasa glad you got it resolved!  I guess Signal must use Google's push notification service for battery-efficient, real-time push messaging, which would require Google Play Services.  Thanks for letting us know--this may be helpful to others in the future.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Excellent troubleshooting @wicasa You can even mark your own post as the Solution! Robot surprised

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@wicasa

I'm very glad to hear this, you're always welcomed to the community Heart

Cheers,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

wicasa

@Shazia_K and everyone else, thanks for your input. I did debug the issue and in fact it WAS caused by my own mistake. I had restricted "Google play services" background data to wifi, and evidently, signal needs Google play services to have data access at all times to work properly.

I appreciate the cooperative community we have here, and am glad to be joining it.

I installed it on my iPhone 5, received confirmation text, and verified account; all with wifi off.

In my area my connection oscilates between 3G and LTE. I have provincial calling and Canada wide texting with 1GB data.

wicasa

@Ludditeyes that would make sense, but the difference of end result based on connection, LTE vs wifi, somehow contradicts this. (Should not make a difference for sms)

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @wicasa,

I'm sorry to see that you are not able to use the messaging app with your mobile data. 

Would you mind sending me your Public Mobile phone number via private message? I will be glad to look into this for you. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

imm1304

@Luddite, you are correct about the sms coming from the US.  I just tested this app to reproduce the OP's problem and the sms came from 415 area code, which is San Francisco, CA.  

However, its worth noting that my plan includes Canada-wide SMS, not international.  So, this is probably not a factor.  

wicasa

@imm1304thanks for confirming that it works on your end. So now I should figure out what's the cause on my phone (Oneplus one)

@wicasa I was wondering whether the SMS connection to the Signal Server was effectively a SMS msg going to the USA. If you do not have long distance texting it may be blocked?

imm1304

Hey @wicasa,

I just tested it.  Installed the signal messenger and registered successfully within seconds using PM's LTE data on my Android phone (G4)

wicasa

Yes, it does have all the permissions.

wicasa

The process of registering the key is automated and defined by the app itself, it doesn't need user input.

BTW, this is reproduceable; anyone can install "Signal" from the store (Android or ios) and try to register their# using mobile data (not wifi). If it goes through, then the problem is somehow on my end. If not, then my hypothesis is confirmed.

imm1304

If you are on Android 6 Marshmallow, do verify that the signal app has the permissions it needs to function.

How do you send the confirmation key? Are you sure it is not going out as text message?

OK; then let's see if the Moderators can shed some light on the issue. @Shazia_K ?

wicasa

Thanks for getting back.

I've already done this multiple times. I enter my phone# to register it, I receive the verification sms, it generates the key, and exactly at this point where it needs to register the generated key back to Signal servers, I get the error that there's no connection.

I've tried registering using Wi-Fi, which works for registering, but later on whenever I'm on mobile data, I don't get any of my messages. So it seems like the Signal server is blocked on the network, but works OK on wifi.

imm1304

Hi @wicasa!

I have used several android phones without any problems with the messaging app.

Can you try clearing the data/cache for the messaging app in Settings > Apps

This will delete any existing messages in the messaging app, so do it only if thats ok or do a backup of your messages first.  

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Doubt it. PM has no reason to block data connections. 

What is your messaging app? Android users may be able to help.

Need Help? Let's chat.