cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compatibility and suspension

Keren16816
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I am thinking about transfering my ulocked phone from Fido to Public Mobile. I checked the compatibility but the model is not listed. It is a Huawei P30 Pro phone. Is it compatible? Thanks.

In addition, what is the policy for suspension of the phone#? For example, if I need to be out of Canada for 2 months, can I keep my phone# and not pay for anything since I am not going to use any plans during the 2-month period? If yes, what do I need to do? Thank you.

Keren

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Public Mobile does not push an APN profile so if you have no option to enter APN manually then you have no access to Data (or msg attachments) on the network.

It will remain Suspended until it's Terminated 90 days after last payment was made. 

@Korth 

I know you've been here a while so I'll say that this is how I understand it.

The 90 day counter starts the day of suspension...not last payment. Last payment would be 120 days until deactivation (assuming no self-suspension).

This APN pushing business...I didn't have to do anything with a couple old BB's on OS10 and an S7 on A8. I did have to fiddle a little to get MMS working on a Nokia Windows Phone 8.1 (iirc browsing worked).

Is this being picked up from the SIM? Or is it being pushed to the phone on initial post-activation SIM insertion? Even if either, it seems to me that then the phone needs to be compatible with extracting/receiving either.

My undetstanding is (pre)pay for 30-day Plan (now that 10-day and 90-day Plans are gone) to keep the service Active... the first time you don't pay when payment is due the service is Suspended, and it stays Suspended up to 90 days... then Terminated.

I might be wrong, you might be right. But it's not something I'd like to test and measure, lol.

Carrier-pushed APNs and (arbitrary greedy anti-consumer) Android-side APN lockouts are sort of a "new" thing - they began appearing before Android 7, they became common on Android 8, they're still around on many Android phones. 

What you say here is how I also understand it. What you had said before was that the 90 days started at last payment. That's what I was trying to clarify for any future readers.

The APN lockout: it seems to be by the device, not PM.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Public Mobile does not push an APN profile so if you have no option to enter APN manually then you have no access to Data (or msg attachments) on the network.

It will remain Suspended until it's Terminated 90 days after last payment was made. 

@Korth 

The 90 day counter starts the day of suspension...not last payment. Last payment would be 120 days until deactivation (assuming no self-suspension).

This APN pushing business...I didn't have to do anything with a couple old BB's on OS10 and an S7 on A8. I did have to fiddle a little to get MMS working on a Nokia Windows Phone 8.1 (iirc browsing worked).

Is this being picked up from the SIM? Or is it being pushed to the phone on initial post-activation SIM insertion? Even if either, it seems to me that then the phone needs to be compatible with extracting/receiving either.

My undetstanding is (pre)pay for 30-day Plan (now that 10-day and 90-day Plans are gone) to keep the service Active... the first time you don't pay when payment is due the service is Suspended, and it stays Suspended up to 90 days... then Terminated.

I might be wrong, you might be right. But it's not something I'd like to test and measure, lol.

Carrier-pushed APNs and (arbitrary greedy anti-consumer) Android-side APN lockouts are sort of a "new" thing - they began appearing before Android 7, they became common on Android 8, they're still around on many Android phones. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

@Korth 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

The phone hardware is compatible with Public Mobile (Telus) radio frequencies, although it doesn't support all 4G/LTE bands so it won't get the fastest possible Data speeds or great Data performance in fringe service areas.

The phone software might or might not be compatible. Check if it allows you to add new APN settings or to edit existing APN settings. If it's a version of Android which only accepts carrier-locked carrier-pushed APNs then it basically won't connect to Data on Public Mobile (without rooting, hacking, or firmware modding the OS). Public Mobile does not push an APN profile so if you have no option to enter APN manually then you have no access to Data (or msg attachments) on the network.

If you do not have enough prepaid funds available in Self-Serve account to renew your Plan then it becomes Suspended (with no service). It will remain Suspended until it's Terminated 90 days after last payment was made. If it's Terminated then you lose all remaining account balance, Rewards, phone number, and SIM card (permanently deactivated). There are never any fees or penalties for suspending or (re)activating service so you can choose to simply ignore your phone cost for a while without charge, just don't forget to pay for service (with the cheapest Plan available, if you're not even going to use it) before it's finally terminated. Everything can be done through your Self-Serve login so it's easy enough to manage if your on extended travel.   Remember to Suspend your AutoPay, of course, or you'll still end up paying for service anyways. 

Definitely you can keep your number just make sure that you do not cancel your Fido account until your number is ported to Public Mobile

Keren16816

Thank you. I will go check. Hopefully the store can keep and transfer my phone #.

You can buy in store 😁

Participating retailers include:

• Walmart
  • London Drugs
  • The Mobile Shop
  • WOW! mobile boutique
  • Select Koodo Authorized Dealers

On link I posted above, page one, first post lists all the details on how to qualify

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Keren16816 wrote:

Thank you for the info. 🙂

Sadly I have not ordered the SIM card yet so I don't think it will arrive in time for the sale.

London Drugs, K Mobile, Wow Mobile, some Walmart, The Mobile Shop (Superstore/Loblaws related), apparently some (not all) Koodo outlets - will sell you a SIM. Apparently some independents have been known to sell SIM's. Some stores can do activations otherwise you do it online. There are now Public Mobile kiosks in some malls. Some stores prefer you to activate with them too but just go in and ask for a replacement even if you're new. Some stores will give you a SIM if you activate in-store with them.

Keren16816

Thank you for the info. 🙂

Sadly I have not ordered the SIM card yet so I don't think it will arrive in time for the sale.

You're phone will work. It takes them time to update that list. I have P20s and P20 pro's running on Public Mobile and their not listed either.

Good time if you're considering switching...there is a flash sale this weekend check it out on link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FLASH-SALE-Get-your-next-30-days-of-ser...

Please please please switch from the evil overlord fido. If you need a referral number I will give you mine. Stacked with the flash sale you can save up to $47 on a $25 Plan.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

You will lose your account and phone number after 90 days. If the number is really important to you just get thev50/50 $10 Plan to keep your number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Keren16816 wrote:

Hi there,

I am thinking about transfering my ulocked phone from Fido to Public Mobile. I checked the compatibility but the model is not listed. It is a Huawei P30 Pro phone. Is it compatible? Thanks.

In addition, what is the policy for suspension of the phone#? For example, if I need to be out of Canada for 2 months, can I keep my phone# and not pay for anything since I am not going to use any plans during the 2-month period? If yes, what do I need to do? Thank you.

Keren

Once your phone goes into suspension either by you or for lack of payment (intentionally or not), you have 90 days to re-enable your account. Everything stays there.

After that, everythings gone (except the email address that was used on the account).

Need Help? Let's chat.