cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't receive text nor phone calls

hesho89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

so.. i figure this started maybe a couple of days ago.   I finally noticed that i wasn't receiving any text messages today.   Looking at my history, the last message i received was wednesday.  What is strange is that any text messages i send are received (checked physically on their phone).   I just can't receive any text messages.   Same applies to phone calls as well.  I was told all my phone calls goes directly to voicemail.  Yet, when i make a phonecall, it will work.   Data still works fine on the phone as i am still using my average (about 150mb a day). 

so, tried rebooting phone, pulling out sim and reinserting it, put in airplane mode and off.  I thought perhaps the APN settings are off and reset those and reentered it with no change (data still works).  I should be mentioned, i am not a new port in.  I have been with public mobile for almost 6 years now.  I haven't changed phones in almost 3 years.  It just.. . stopped receiving.  Just figure i would get some suggestions on what to try.   I don't have another phone to try the sim card in a different phone sadly. 

edit:  tried 3g mode, didn't do anything, phone is a xiaomi mi 9t (android).  DND mode is not enabled.

19 REPLIES 19

hesho89

tried all those already.  The only thing i didn't try was call forwarding since i don't use it though i did try the resetting codes earlier which didn't help.    As for bluetooth, any incoming phone call goes straight to voicemail, no ringing.  I sent in a ticket, so i'm hoping a i get a response soon 😞

@hesho89 

Calls going straight to Voicemail

Try these fixes:

• ensure airplane mode is not enabled
  • ensure do not disturb is not enabled
  • ensure the number calling you is not on a blocked senders list
  • disable any call-forwarding features/settings
  • turn off Bluetooth -- it's possible the 'ringing' is going through to a Bluetooth device instead of device's speakers
  • remove and reinsert your SIM card
  • reset network connections

@publicpointz   i have a doubt if the porting ever completed.  The "text" you got might be just iMessage or RCS?

I will message you a phone number to call PM porting team.  it is closed now., but call tomorrow morning to talk to live agent and they will confirm if the porting was completed.    Please check the Community inbox for my message

In the meantime, you can try to find the freedom sim card, put it back in a phone to see if it still works. IF it works, that also confirm the porting was NOT completed

publicpointz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

trying to check right now but I don't remember my Freedom account password. Tried to do email reset but it's not showing up in my email 😞 

@publicpointz   When you requested porting, did you geta text from Freedom about approving the porting?  did you reply YES within 90 mins?

publicpointz

I got an incoming text, but not incoming call

@publicpointz   since joining PM, were you ever able to get an incoming call and ever able to get incoming text?

publicpointz

The same has been happening to me too - a fellow publicmobile customer was able to recieve my texts, and I could call them but they couldn't call me.

I can send texts to non-PM customers and it doesn't say anything about it not going through - but they haven't recieved it, nor have I recieved any of their texts.

I recently switched to PM - I was with freedom

switched my SIM card.

Network says public mobile

service state says "in service"

but mobile network state says "disconnected"

I'm not the most tech savy person but it seems to me that the error is in the mobile network state. I submitted a help ticket ten min ago.

Yes, I've tried rebooting, taking the SIM card out.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Try dialing ##004# and maybe also ##21#. That would reset call forwarding to defaults. Worth a try. Hopefully the phone will figure out what the defaults are. If not then drill down into the dialer settings and make sure the main forwarding is not set to a number or code.

@hesho89   you don't need to go to next major city.  Usually if you drive 5 to 10 mins away, you will be using different "cell"

but still, I encourage you to open ticket with PM Support and have them confirm if there is any known issue in your area, or they will send someone to check

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

hesho89

when i select 3g, i still get full signal bar.  

i can't even imagine where the next area would be.  The next major city is 4 hours ago... I live in northern ontario so hard to judge.   Also, does the 3g also effect incoming text?  All the outgoing stuff still works though (voice and text).

@hesho89 wrote:

I don't think there is a local outage since it just the incoming and my friend hasn't had any issues with his phone on koodo though.  

@hesho89 

Koodo network is slightly different, their voice works on LTE with VoLTE

PM uses ONLY 3G network for voice, so, if there is any problem with 3G network, there will be no voice

Did you ever try your phone in another area , away from where you are now?  If you get voice in another area, then it is a local 3G network issue

@hesho89 wrote:

tried 3g, it didn't do anything.   (testing by calling it.. goes straight to voicemail).   I sadly don't have another phone to test the sim.  If it matters, the phone is a xiaomi mi 9t (android).  DND is not enabled.  That was the 2nd thing i checked (first thing was a reboot).

@hesho89   when you are at 3G Only, does the phone status showing it connects or does not connect at all?.  any signal bars at all when it is at 3G ONLY ?

hesho89

had a couple of apps that needed updating, rebooted and nothing.   As for system update, there was a couple of of system apps (miui stuff) that got updated but didn't help either.   I don't think there is a local outage since it just the incoming and my friend hasn't had any issues with his phone on koodo though.  

This is super out of left field... could it be trying to link up with my car (2018 rav4) so because it not connecting to the car it goes to voicemail?  It has been linked for like 18 months though without much issue.

@hesho89 

Ensure any available updates are done?

hesho89

tried 3g, it didn't do anything.   (testing by calling it.. goes straight to voicemail).   I sadly don't have another phone to test the sim.  If it matters, the phone is a xiaomi mi 9t (android).  DND is not enabled.  That was the 2nd thing i checked (first thing was a reboot).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@hesho89 

Could be a combination of having RCS services enabled (chat or iMessage) and maybe Do Not Disturb enabled?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Could be a local network issue in your particular area maybe.

If you were able to try a different phone...that would help.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@hesho89 strange that both voice and text not working but data works.

Can you try one thing,, change to 3G ONLY for your Preferred Network Type and see if it connects at all, I suspect it won't   Let us know the result

And you have abother phone to test the P.M sim card??

Need Help? Let's chat.