cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i setup a number to just call one contact?

rayscoins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hey, if I were to bring another unlocked device and buy a public mobile sim card, would there be a way to set up that device so that it can only contact one phone number? kind of like a direct line. It would be for my kids to be able to contact me but i dont want it to be a device that they can use to contact whoever else they want to.

5 REPLIES 5

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Fixed Dialing Number (FDN) is an old solution to an old problem. It basically makes two lists of whitelisted/allowed phone numbers which are stored in the SIM card (physical SIM card, since eSIMs are usually not equipped with NV storage). The service provided by that SIM card is only permitted to dial numbers on one list and is only permitted to answer calls from numbers on the other list. (In USA, where FDN is a feature you can buy, they put the same numbers on both lists and pretend it's "one" list so that stupid consumers won't be as confused.)

Rogers is the only Canadian provider which ever offered FDN features (in a "Kids" plan and in a "Family" plan). It was implemented as a ripoff which sold poorly - Rogers tried to use it as a way to force subscribers to buy old-stock last-gen phones at new-stock latest-gen prices, and that sort of killed the popularity of the whole concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_Dialing_Number

You can do that. Just know that a flip phone probably doesn't have the Google play store where you have to download the pm app in order to get the service. 

If it doesn't you would probably have to do it on your own phone first.

When my child was younger I gave my old phone, no data, no Sim and I download the Textnow app. (It was a smartphone) so they had acess to the internet and all.

The problem with Textnow is that if there was no wifi they couldn't call or text me. In school they have wifi  but they can't use phone in school anyway. They were never interested in replying to my texts or phone calls anyhow.

With technology the way it is today, they quickly find a workaround to anything.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@rayscoins  Sorry no I don’t think that’s possible . Maybe just get a set of walkie talkies 

rayscoins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

will do. and i was looking to set it up on a flip phone or something that doesn't really have much capabilities of anything other than calling or texting. i suppose there are parental control options on most newer androids but a flip phone would be less likely to break

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

That would be great if there is that capability with any cellphone carrier.

I Google search and it talked about "fixed dialing" but that would have to be a feature in your phone not the provider. 

Let me know if you find out.

Need Help? Let's chat.