cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi away from home

pshad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I used to have instant access to wifi on my iphone (and so did my wife) when I left home out of range of my home wife. Since transferring to Public Mobile we have lost the ability to wifi away from home (unless we log onto a 3rd party wifi). Does Public Mobile not provide wifi access? I checked our phones and we have data roaming turned on. 

7 REPLIES 7

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@pshad 

It sounds like your data is not connected to your iPhone.

I would reset your network settings. Go to Settings>General>Transfer or Reset iPhone>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

You will need to re-enter your wifi password when you connect to your home wifi.

@pshad 

did you meant mobile data?  you were unable to use internet when you are away from home unless you use 3rd party Wifi?

if it is Mobile data, make sure Mobile Data is turned on.  Also, make sure your Carrier Profile is updated

1. Tap Settings > General > About.
  2. Follow the onscreen instructions to install your carrier update.

And you might also want to try Reset Network Settings (but please note that after Reset Network Settings, you will have to add your home Wifi and other Wifi and bluetooth connection back as well)

tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings. If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14 or earlier, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

pshad

Thank you. Any idea of how to fix this problem on an iphone?

pshad

Won't work for me. I have an iphone.

pshad

I have an iphone.

@pshad , are you referring to mobile data?  Normally when you out of range for the home WiFi, mobile data should take over immediately.  It sounds like this is not happening.  If you have mobile data turned on but it is not working, the problem could be due to APN settings.  Please check and follow this help article to confirm.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pshad WiFi access as handled at the phone level, not at the carrier level. If you have connected previously to other WiFi networks your phone should be able to automatically connect to them again when you are within range

Need Help? Let's chat.