cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Bands are in use ...

stuart
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There are several bands (frequencies) used by PM - my question is how do I determine which one or ones are actually being used when I make calls.  My device shows I am using a 3G band but everyone says it is 4G.  I have seen the page showing the bands supported by PM - my question is which one(s) are in use when I call. How can I find out about this info.

8 REPLIES 8

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

I see. 

So what's the difference between 4G and LTE, and is 4G or LTE better? In short, 4G offers a much faster speed, more stability and access to a larger variety of online activities. LTE is a half-point between 3G and 4G, so its performance suffers compared to the fourth generation.Jan 21, 2022

So LTE  should be called LT4 ... ha Less Than 4(g)

4g is really a made up term that I beleive that was invented largely for marketing purposes.  It is not better or worse than LTE.  Also, LTE is not between 3g and 4g.  i see LTE as most commonly being accepted as 4g.   I have only seen the term 3.5g being used to describe an HSPA network.  Adding further to the confusion is the way that carriers have been using "4g" to refer to the HSPA network.  With the way that the term "4g" has been advertised over the years, it really could mean anything, and carriers have used that to desribe different types of networks.  

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

I see. 

So what's the difference between 4G and LTE, and is 4G or LTE better? In short, 4G offers a much faster speed, more stability and access to a larger variety of online activities. LTE is a half-point between 3G and 4G, so its performance suffers compared to the fourth generation.Jan 21, 2022

So LTE  should be called LT4 ... ha Less Than 4(g)

@hTideGnow 

So on an iPhone the 3G for voice...my phone is capable of various frequencies that 3G works on and is transparent to me? < === NOPE!

My iPhone has a Cellular Data option of “voice and data” of 3G and LTE. 

It works fine on either. 

What is throttled to 3G.....LTE Data? Or voice?

If towers are upgraded to 5G, are they always downward compatible?

I don’t get it. 🤔🤔

Frequencies?

LTE is really 4G?

LTE is for voice?

LTE is for data?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz (band 5), 1900 MHz (band 2) and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).

HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @stuart for current  band info, you can try to use the app Network Cell Info Lite

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@stuart 

Depends on the tower area and your device

Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @stuart PM ONLY uses 3G for voice.

850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS)

Data can be on LTE or 3G... but voice is on 3G only

Need Help? Let's chat.