cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do I switch SIM cards

oilfan63
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just joined PM.  Activated my SIM card, replied to notification from old provider to approve switch.  There was a (tiny) message in the activation process about when to switch over my SIM card, but not able to retrieve the message once I continued the activation and payment process.

When do I switch cards?  Will there be a message / email / text?

6 REPLIES 6

Joe518
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I replied Yes. The old service stopped after 20 minutes. Then I switch to PM SIM. As i was given a temporary number, i am still waiting for old number to show up. Hope it is done next morning.

@porcupine wrote:

you will get a text from old provider that you need to reply yes to then after you reply yes switch sim cards then it could take an hour or two for your phone to work

I disagree with this timing for switching SIM cards.  Ideally, customers would have a spare phone so that both SIM cards could be used, but if that isn't possible, I would advise for the old carrier's SIM card to be kept in the device until the service of the old carrier stops working (although this would require the user to manually check every few minutes)  Incoming communications originating from other carriers will all still go to the old service until porting has completed.  As for incoming text messages from other Telus customers that will go to the Public Mobile service, and incoming calls from other Telus users sometimes do too (I've had it happen both ways for different accounts).

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

you will get a text from old provider that you need to reply yes to then after you reply yes switch sim cards then it could take an hour or two for your phone to work

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@oilfan63   if you replied YES to your old provider, you can then put the PM sim card in

First, try to make outgoing calls and it should work (if it does not work, let us know)

Then, test  incoming calls. Call yourself from another line.  It might not work right a way (as you the PM sim might not ring).  No worry, that process take 30 mins to couple hours.  Just reboot the phone ever 30 mins and test again. Within 3 hours, the incoming calls should come to PM sim card.  Once you got the incoming calls, the porting process is completed 

oilfan63
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If you DID receive authorization SMS from old provider AND replied Yes then you can switch to PM SIM at any time now.

Old provider will not send you any more SMS and your old account wlll be closed.

Need Help? Let's chat.