cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between telus and public

Harvir_K
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Since I'm joining next month again I just wanted to know what's the difference between telus and public mobile.

15 REPLIES 15

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PM will not work outside of canda and USA, (NO Roaming no SMS, NO talk and no Data).  but most people susally  buy a local sim as it is cheaper and if you have an unlocked phone.

depends where you are roaming. Its always cheaper to buy plans locally at the place you are travelling to. Canadian phone plans/roaming packages in terms of pricing and what you get is the highest (blame the big 3 for that).

So if you're going to the states, buy a pre-paid sim from AT&T, ect. You can also buy some pre-paid roaming sims online

Just make sure your phone is unlocked or else you wont be able to use it.

If you mean roaming within Canada, you will not be charged (unlike Wind/Freedom where you would be charged if you didnt have an everywhere plan)

Harvir_K

Something that i wanted was roaming to other company's. Is there any alternatives for that.

Harvir_K

@Samianauman i will get your phone number and do the referral thing when I'm joning. Next month

@parousia52 wrote:

I am a user of Telus for 12 yrs.

During 8 months after joining PM, I am really satisfied with PM's fixed deal, that is discounts and rewards for auto-payment, yearly royalty and referred friends etc.

For my sample, I am now paying approximately only 20 dollar per month after applying all deals including referred friends and auto-payment, whereas I was paying nearly 80 dollar every month in Telus (+1gb data only). That fact might be biggest difference you would be experiencing if switching to PM from Telus.

Yeah, but that $80 Telus plan will include the latest shiny new iPhone every couple of years for virtually "zero dollars".  Sadly, there are lots of people out there who don't know how to buy a non carrier phone and wade through the process of setting it up. 

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@parousia52  PM is fuly on line Sub Brand of Telus for a Tech Savvy users that want to save money.

parousia52
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a user of Telus for 12 yrs.

During 8 months after joining PM, I am really satisfied with PM's fixed deal, that is discounts and rewards for auto-payment, yearly royalty and referred friends etc.

For my sample, I am now paying approximately only 20 dollar per month after applying all deals including referred friends and auto-payment, whereas I was paying nearly 80 dollar every month in Telus (+1gb data only). That fact might be biggest difference you would be experiencing if switching to PM from Telus.

mimmo
there isnt visual voicemail. (iphones).

what features are you looking for it might be easier that way.

@Samianauman wrote:
Also harvir
Telus doesn't offer rewards program like pm offer lol if u need a refferal you can always send me a private msg to get my number. 🙂

Only referrer would get the rewards Smiley Tongue

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Also harvir
Telus doesn't offer rewards program like pm offer lol if u need a refferal you can always send me a private msg to get my number. 🙂
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
PM doesn't offer wifi calling but I'm not sure if Telus does either. I switched from Rogers 3 months ago and couldn't be happier. Great service at a fraction of the price.

The fact it's mostly self serve is probably my favourite part. No more dealing with loyalty departments begging for better pricing. And when you do have issues online support is top notch.

Would highly recommend trying PM out.

It's more like premium service normal services.
Telus offer customer service by calling pm doesn't.
Telus offer voltre also share plan pm doesn't.
Also offer phone either buy outright or on tab pm doesn't.
But service and reception is great on pm.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Harvir_K

Thanks for the replys but i meant the features.I know public doesn't have Voice over lte. What else doesn't it have

mimmo

a couple things

• PM has no stores
  • there is only online support throuh the forum
  • PM is much cheaper
  • no subsidised phones
  • it is pre paid 
  • 10, 30 and 90 day terms

Similar:

PM uses the same towers  same reception

The difference?

The two brands have different plans, pricing, and features included in the service. 

One main difference is the billing.  Telus offers plans that are on postpaid billing (and some prepaid plans as well).  Although "postpaid" customers receive a bill by postal mail or e-mail, the reality is that really only overage usage is paid after the fact. This is because on postpaid, you are still billed in advance for your base plan.

Telus allows customers to pay for the purchase of phones over time as a payment that is included as part of the monthly plan price. That amount owing on the phone device goes down in pro-rated increments each month. 

Public Mobile offers generally lower priced plans but no longer offers customers service over the phone.  The payment system is prepaid which can be a good thing if you want no possible chance of there being surprise charges after you use the service.

Need Help? Let's chat.