cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good phone for $400

Harvir_K
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi i wanted to switch my mom over to public mobile. What is a good phone for about $400

45 REPLIES 45

Harvir_K

I decided to buy one from the Apple Store. Wish one did fall of a truck Robot tongue

Maybe it "fell off a truck"! 👺

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @Harvir_K,

iPhone7 plus is a great phone.  I would be thrilled if I got one as a gift 🙂

I am sure it cost way more than $400 though. 

@Harvir_K that couldn't have been under the $400 you started here if it was you got a sweet deal

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Good choice!!

Harvir_K

I decided to get my mom the iPhone 7 plus

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

iPhones are way outside of the price parameter unless it is well worn and not worth buying.  TBH, I don't think that android phones are difficult to use.  The customizability is part of the fun and interest in using a smart phone.  Anyway, my suggestion was the accepted solution from the previous thread on phone options.  Sorry, I had to toot my own horn and more importantly provide counter argument against the walled garden. 

collin1215

If you're down to spend a bit more moeny. The ZTE axon 7 is a pretty killer phone for the price. You got front facing speakers, decent battery life and specs all around. 

I currently own a Nexus 6p which is a flagship phone from around two years ago and most people are expericing problems with the battery life. I read that most people are switching to the axon 7 and it's noticeably better. Better battery life and call quality as well.  

My experience with less techie/new users is that iPhones are very easy to learn basic functions. I have three friends that purchased used iPhones from Orchard; all have been pleased. If you go that route be aware the price is JUST the phone, but I can definitely recommend their screen saver; it is truly invisible.

Here's a link that gives me a kick back but go direct if you prefer:  https://www.getorchard.com?afmc=2zl

I have a 5, my friends have purchased 2 x 5S and 1 x 5C. The 5S and up are preferred as they will have longer shelf lives for updates. The rest have had (or about to have) their last updates. Look for unlocked, or Koodo/Telus to operate on Public Mobile.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Raven_Jet
One thing I found about mothers and parents in general is that they prefer something that is simple and easy to use yet high tech with the times. I would definitely recommend an iPhone. But the iPhone SE starts at 579$ before taxes.

If your mother is more techy then I would suggest an android. You can't go wrong with a Samsung 5 and up.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Harvir_K, this was a fairly recent discussion on phones.  Give it a look, see if there is anything appealing to you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Suggestions-For-A-New-Phone/m-p/15729...

brobinson5662

@Harvir_K

here's some links to articles that could help with your decision!

Personally, I have an older iPhone (5s), but have owned a couple andriod devices in the past.

The articles are from late last year and are written from the USA, so take the information with a grain of salt.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-android-phones-under-400

http://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/g926/cheap-unlocked-smart-phones/

Happy searching!

Harvir_K

iOS or android.  It should be new

brobinson5662

are you looking for a new or used phone?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

What OS are you planning to /or like to be on?  Android?  iOS?  Windows 10?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.