cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when you port out of PM?

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What exactly happens when you port out of PM, with balance remaining on the account?

I've read that the account is cancelled and you cannot get into self serve.

Is this true? If so, this isn't fair to lose the money you've got. You should be able to get a new number and continue to use your account until the balance expires, or if you want, continue it later with a new number. I understand it's prepaid, so it's not like postpaid you get a cheque back. But at least make it possible to use the service you paid for.

With these new deals floating around, one may want to switch over but not lose the balance especially that the better deals with PM are for 90 days.

Can PM shine a light on this?

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MK78 I agree that it could work that way.  However, I don't find it likely changing to that any time soon.

Once again, there are trade-offs in everything in life.  With a pre-paid plan, you never have to worry about unexpected overages, you don't have to get a credit check [edit: and probably pay an activation fee] to activate, but if and when you chooe to leave, you do so without prorated refund.  If you want a prorated refund when you leave, then I suggest you get the credit check done, activate a post-paid plan, and worry about every invoice in case you went over.  🙂  Of course I'm being a bit silly on that last point, but honestly, the old adage about not having your cake and eating it too really is true.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

MK78

Oh i know it won't help... just saying, that generalizing that "every prepaid does it this way" shouldn't automatically dismiss the idea that it COULD be made to work, if the carriers weren't keen on basically robbing the customer of their account balance should they need to port out for whatever reason, whether it be a better deal with another carrier or poor/no reception/coverage after a move to a new area.

srlawren

@MK78 complaining about it here probably won't help.  If you feel strongly about it, I'd suggest you get in contact with the CCTS.  PM texts you every few months with details of how to get ahold of them.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@lukevader I think you misunderstood.  I know there is an account number.  What I'm saying is that every single phone number at PM is a separate account.  Once you close off the phone number by porting it out, the account is just an empty shell.  

MK78

@lukevader wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Here's the thing:  porting automatically closes the line that the number is attached to.   Period.  It works that way at every Canadian carrier.  Where PM is different is that the number effectively IS the account.  There's no such thing as multi-line accounts here.  Port the number, close the line.  Close the line, no more lines on account, close the account.  I really don't see this changing any time soon. 

I call bull on this. My pm account has an account number. Just because everyone does it that way doesn't make it right.

I agree. There's no reason why the account can't be left active for the remainder of the prepaid term, and you can choose a new number and assign it to a new SIM card.

Everyone saying "every prepaid does it this way", doesn't mean there couldn't be a better way for this to work.

Enough stink was raised when gift cards had expiry dates and hidden charges. That was eventually outlawed and no longer happens, even though "every gift card had that".

lukevader

@srlawren wrote:

Here's the thing:  porting automatically closes the line that the number is attached to.   Period.  It works that way at every Canadian carrier.  Where PM is different is that the number effectively IS the account.  There's no such thing as multi-line accounts here.  Port the number, close the line.  Close the line, no more lines on account, close the account.  I really don't see this changing any time soon. 

I call bull on this. My pm account has an account number. Just because everyone does it that way doesn't make it right.

srlawren

The other way PM is different than most of what people are used to is the prepaid aspect.  Granted, you can go prepaid on other carriers, but most people are used to post-paid.  The only reason you retail some access to a self-serve system on post-paid after you port out is because at some point later you will receive a bill for your remaining outstanding amount.  This is not an issue with prepaid because you have no remaining outstanding amount, because you prepaid for what you said you were going to use.  If you didn't use it all, unfortunately, tough.  

@mimmo likes to use the gift card analogy and I think it works well.  You load money onto a gift card in order to procure services or goods at a later date.  If you don't use up the gift card because you decide you no longer want anything from that store, they're not going to refund you the remaining amount.   

MVP

@MK78 wrote:

OK, maybe a refund is not it, but at the very least make the account available so you can use the rest of the time & funds left on it.

Porting out shouldn't kill the entire value of the account.

You have a very good point. Phone number is not equivalent to the cellphone account. 

Porting out a number should not automatically close the entire account.

In fact, for post-paid, account remains  active, at least until there is an unsettled balance.

For post-paid, one may argue, a new  (random) number should be automatically assigned in case of porting.

Of course, the provider normally does not care, because they think that the customer left for good,

and there is no incentive to let him continue using his account.

However, for good plans (like Fall 2016 promo), I bet many users will want to keep their plans and accounts in good standing, 

even if under new phone number!

Perhaps one can raise this issue in the Public Labs?

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Is this your personal phone number ? If yes, why bother to port it, get the new number with smartphone so simple, just text all your contact less then 30 minutes are done and you still have your PM account active, my 2 cents

@MK78 wrote:

OK, maybe a refund is not it, but at the very least make the account available so you can use the rest of the time & funds left on it.

The only option on prepaid account is to use it. You could, for the sake of argument, activate the new carrier but forward your PM number there. This would allow you to use up all the data at PM before transferring your PM number. 

Too late now, but maybe you can use the knowledge when an even better plan comes along.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MK78

srlawren

@MK78 all prepaid services are like that.  I like @mimmo's analogy.  

There are trade-offs with going with a pre-paid account, and this is one of them.  On the bright side your term is never more than 90 days at a time, you can never get an unexpected overage charge after the fact, etc.  You can't have it all, unfortunately.

mimmo

Think of it like a gift card.  You purchase a gift card for x$.  You can't go then return it and get a refund even if it is unused or partially used.

I do agree

CRTC/CCTS SHOULD regulate this and MANDATE Appropriate Policy in regards to Prepaid

MK78

Are all prepaid services like this? Like Chatr or Freedom?

I've never had a prepaid account until PM.

IMO this is something that the CRTC needs to address. People are getting ripped off their money this way, the big 3 were made to refund postpaid balances when people were cancelling or porting out.

Why not prepaid?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, it is true, porting out closes the account immediately.  It is not possible to try and navigate a closed account.  This prepaid service does not provide refunds, say goodbye to all funds in the account.

Need Help? Let's chat.