cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What day should I set the data limit on my phone?

jlm1991
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ok bear with me as this is the first time I have been on a pre-paid provider.  When I had my corporate Koodo account I was using roughly 3 to 3.5 GB of data a month and didnt have to worry about going over my 1gb data that was included in my plan.  Instead I'd just get an extra $10/gb added onto my bill.

With this being prepaid I know this is not how it works, hence why I am trying to setup a data limit using my phone's built in limiter.

I have it currently setup at 4gb on a monthly limit.  Now Im just wondering is what day should I have it set so it resets this limit? 

I activated and ported everything over on November 18th @ roughly  10pm MST.  Would this count as day 1 and if so should I have it set to renew on the 17th or the 18th of each month?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

hockeysense
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Most smart phones now have an option in settings that allows you to change the date from when you start up with PM. I would change it to the date that you  started and set a notification around the 3.5gb for that month so you know in advance.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@jlm1991 with this being prepaid why bother with the counter at all?

If you used 4GB in month 1, then 5GB in month 2 there is no overage

The ONLY reason I can see using counter is in last month if your remaining data is low (eg in example above, I used a total of 9GB over 60 days so would set a warning when I approached last 3GB over 30 remaining days just so I could ration it if need be)

You will never get charged extra

Even if you go over

(Just realize when you hit data limit they basically cut you off)

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I use the app called My Data Manager (by Mobidia Technology).  It's very customisable and I find it's been accurate so far.

jlm1991

K done set it for that day

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You should start the count from November 18 as the date of activation is the first day. Include exactly 90 days from there, not three months, as that would take you over the billing period.

jlm1991

Not on Android (barf),  On Windows Phone

Using an automatic monthly limit as you can on many Android phones isn't going to work with Public Mobile.  Your billing date will be on a different day for each renewal because the plans are only sold a 10, 30, or 90 day basis.  You can still use those montly limit settings, but it's not going to be entirely accurate.  There are third-party apps that can keep track of data usage for you, but I don't know of any that will cut your data usage off at a certain point like the stock operating system features do it. 

I would just set it to whichever day your current plan renewal started.  But you'll have to keep changing it each month, and like I said, it won't be accurate because the plans starts on different days each time.    You'll also have to keep changing the day each time.

Need Help? Let's chat.