cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI calling

Hiteshgrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just purchased a new Public connection and when tried using it came to know there is no signal in my home. Customer case was useless and said that they can guarantee signal only on main road. 

He said simply don't recharge next time and switch to other connection. I just wasted money on buying and recharging public mobile connection.

It seems my option is to have a provider with WIFI calling option enabled. Now my question is, do we have anything in prepaid that gives WIFI calling in Canada, from cheaper mobile carriers like Lucky, chatr, Koodo, Pc mobile.

Has to be Pre paid, and low budget. I did not quite get this info anywhere published , reliably.  

12 REPLIES 12

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, I get that.

But OP seems to be looking to open a new low cost account. I don't think they mind switching carriers, so I'm just throwing one more option out there, not sure if it helps though lol

@fujiyama 

I think that the point about Lucky's in-app calling is there being no need to switch carriers as there are free alternatives that can be used at any carrier.

fujiyama

Thanks for the correction @computergeek541

and @Hiteshgrand. I should have read it more carefully lol.

There is still the voip option if you want to keep costs down. But it is way more work to set up and use and will (kinda) still involve two numbers.

Hiteshgrand

Right. If they would have managed to give the same number for app and mobile, that would have much more sense. And we would have certainly taken that. 

Hiteshgrand

Its an app. Its not WIFI calling. Wifi calling is when your mobile network switches itself on wifi for making calls, when there is strong wifi, and poor cellular signals and vice versa. 

Its common in some countries , but not here in Canada. 

It would have still made sense, had the Lucky mobile and the wifi app Lucky is giving had the same number, so that it can work to receive calls on wifi when no cellular signal. But its gives a new number that does not solve the real purpose.  

@fujiyama 

Lucky Mobile does not have Wi-Fi calling. The link that you have provided is a service that Lucky is incorrectly advertising. It is nothing more than a VoIP service app that provides a second phone number to use.

fujiyama

Since you said you get Bell signal at home, try Lucky mobile:

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/plans-add-ons/Wi-Fi-Calling 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Hiteshgrand 

It could be your Cellular Network setting, click on 3G for better reception.

PM is 4G/LTE but is throttled down to 3G speed.

Ok. Where you saw that it was on LTE, can you set it to 3G or the other names I listed? Then try calling out and in?

DDM69

What is customer case?  Only guarantee service on a main road?  This sounds highly suspicious and abnormal. 

Hiteshgrand

I checked everything. Its on LTE. Network is Public 3G, (no Public 4G network available), I am in NB. 

The signals are ok on road. And full on Main road.  In and around my home they are fluctuating and not able to make or receive calls. 

The Bell network signal are better in home, and we are able to make and receive calls. Not sure why, when they share same networks/ towers.  I tried PC Mobile as well and same problem with it. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you check the coverage map at the bottom of this page? What make and model is your phone? Have you set the network to LTE or 4G or WCDMA or UMTS or HSPA or 3G. Does the service work if you go to another area? Are you perhaps in the Winnipeg or Brandon areas?

Need Help? Let's chat.