cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice call issues in the Toronto GTA area

Fera
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I’m new to Public Mobile; however, ever since switching to PM I’ve been having poor quality voice calls that keep on dropping even with full signal bars. People complain that they can’t hear me and I can’t hear them… very poor quality voice calls, with lots of interference. I had this issue all over the Grand Toronto Area. Is this how Public Mobile service is? If call quality doesn’t improve I’ll have to leave Public Mobile within my first month. I use an iPhone. 

6 REPLIES 6

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Fera  - although, we have seen more recent issues like this, please try some basic troubleshooting steps to see if anything can improve your services (worth a shot anyhow) prior to reporting this to CSA.

Try 1 or more of the below:

• restart your phone
  • toggle into and out of airplane mode
  • perform a Reset of the device's Network Settings
  • move your sim card to another phone to see if services works. Then place the sim card back into your own phone, sometimes just switching sims between phones can do something in the backend of your account and help finicky things
  • manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) to see services improve

If issues persist, submit a ticket to CSA for assistance.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

@porcupine wrote:

you need to reach out to a agent because my calls are good both quality and signal maybe its your sim card

I won't say never, but SIM cards very rarely go bad.  Also, while not impossible, a SIM card is unlikely to cause dropped calls.  A SIM card is simply an authentication tool used to inform the carrier where service should be delivered.  A SIM card is either making proper electronic with the phone or not.  For it to cause dropped calls, that would usually mean it has come loose, or otherwise momentarily stops working, but then immediately makes a reconnection. In that type of situation, the customer would also be likely to see regular instances of having no signal at all.

@Outdoorsman wrote:

@computergeek541 hi thankyou for your honest assessment of the problem , are there any rumours of when VOLTE will be implemented here?

Unfotuantely, there is no official information that has been provided to customers.

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

you need to reach out to a agent because my calls are good both quality and signal maybe its your sim card

@computergeek541 hi thankyou for your honest assessment of the problem , are there any rumours of when VOLTE will be implemented here?

@Fera wrote:

Hello, I’m new to Public Mobile; however, ever since switching to PM I’ve been having poor quality voice calls that keep on dropping even with full signal bars. People complain that they can’t hear me and I can’t hear them… very poor quality voice calls, with lots of interference. I had this issue all over the Grand Toronto Area. Is this how Public Mobile service is? If call quality doesn’t improve I’ll have to leave Public Mobile within my first month. I use an iPhone. 

I wish that I could tell you that my experience with voice has been better.  There's something very wrong with the Telus HSPA+ ntework, and while data has become awful in many locations, I have also noticed a decline in the service of voice service quality.  These issues could be temporary, but I suspect that there won't be any improvement until the implementation of VoLTE.  I suspect that the issues may be related to the repurposing of HSPA+ specturum to use for other purposes causing HSPA+ network capacity issues.

Need Help? Let's chat.