cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice Problems in the US

Paul57
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I've recently returned from the US. I bought a talk add on but I could not make or receive voice calls. My phone should work with VoLTE. Is VoLTE activated for my account?

Paul

17 REPLIES 17

Just be aware that there is much less coverage for 2G GSM so you may not have success anyway. But data and texting should be fine on 4G LTE.

Paul57

Next time I'm in the US I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Then the phone is not enabled for volte. Check if you're able to change networks to 2G GSM? So your only talk option next time is to connect to T-Mobile and hope your phone will switch down. But it might not. So then you would need to manually switch down. Text will work on either 4G LTE or 2G GSM.

Paul57

It changed to UMTS.

Public Mobile has its own severely restrictive system of allowing devices to use their volte. My phone is perfectly able to use volte from another provider but they refuse to allow it here.
If you have the same menu system as me, go to settings, about phone, status information, sim card status and look at the mobile talk network line. It probably says LTE. Now keeping that window open, make a call and come back to this window while on the call. Does it keep saying LTE or does it change to UMTS?

Paul57

I checked my IMEI number with Telus and they indicate that my phone will work with their VoLTE network. Since PM is a Telus subcarrier I'm confused.... 

In another thread @sheytoon noted that some phones show 4G when it's really 3G "I believe S7 in Canada was one of those phones. It will show 4G for 3G connection, and will show LTE for 4G connection. "   I don't know enough to comment further except to say that I had an Android with a tier 1 provider and the phone was VoLTE capable according to the manufacturer but didn't get it even though supposedly provisioned for it.  Lengthy calls to their customer service failed to resolve the issue.  I've also read that some Canadian carriers only support certain phone models for VoLTE if the phone was purchased from them - which in my case it was but that still didn't help.

Paul57

In Canada when I turn off WiFi on the top right I see LTE or LTE+. When I make a call it switches to 4G.

Paul57

Yes the S8 is not on the list but it supports VoLTE. I'll try T-Mobile the next time I'm in the US. Thanks.

@Paul57   The S8 is not on PM's VoLTE compatible list.  You could try selecting T-Mobile and connecting to their 2G

Paul57

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 so it should have VoLTE.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Make and model of phone?

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Thank you @computergeek541 !! 

Hi @Paul57 

Depending on what phone you have, it may have Volte already. I took this from the T-Mobile website.

Most devices launched since 2018 support VoLTE. Below are examples of the more popular devices that support VoLTE.

• Apple iPhone 8 and newer models
  • Galaxy S Series (S8 / S8+ and newer models) including Unlocked models from Samsung.
  • Galaxy Note Series (Note 8 and newer models) including Unlocked models from Samsung.
  • Galaxy A Series (A10, A20, A32, A50, etc.) including Unlocked models from Samsung.
  • LG G Series (G7 and newer models)
  • Google Pixel 3 and newer models
  • One Plus 7 Pro 5G and newer models

The only sure way to confirm VoLTE is to check whether the cellular connection switches down to 3G or not during a phone call.  All other means can be hit and miss unfortunately.  

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Hi @Paul57 

Depending on what phone you have, it may have Volte already. I took this from the T-Mobile website.

Most devices launched since 2018 support VoLTE. Below are examples of the more popular devices that support VoLTE.

• Galaxy S Series (S8 / S8+ and newer models) including Unlocked models from Samsung.
  • Galaxy Note Series (Note 8 and newer models) including Unlocked models from Samsung.
  • Galaxy A Series (A10, A20, A32, A50, etc.) including Unlocked models from Samsung.

Just knowing the model wouldn't gurantee VoLTE services.  There are models that were intended for sale in Canada that work on Public Mobile's VoLTE but that have equivalent US versions that do not.  Public Mobile's network also has to allow it and only allows devices with specific IMEI numbers to use VoLTE.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Paul57 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Paul57   @Humble12 Please don't post your personal details on this public forum.  Is your phone on the VoLTE compatible list?  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

Can you turn off wifi and turn on data and then make a call.  Does the phone drop to 3G?

Need Help? Let's chat.