cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very bad US roaming experience - 2nd time

wmccrack
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Bad US roaming experience in May and again this past weekend (July 1 to 4). I bought US roaming voice and 250 MB data (for my wife and myself) to use for Google maps and at other times. But when I tried to use data, the service was so slow that maps reported no internet and Google search was so slow it was unusable (I had EDGE service level reported at most times). Then I got a 95% data used notification on the 2nd day without having gotten ANY actual use at all (nothing had worked over data). Also the data signal strength icon at the top of the phone's screen had an exclamation mark which I understand is likely an incorrectly setup APN (which is supposed to be set up by Public Mobile - I had not done anything with the APN and likely couldn't have when I looked as it was greyed out). To top it all off there appears to be no way to contact anyone to get problems resolved when roaming. All of this needs to be resolved ASAP or I am going to another carrier.

Very disappointed customer !!!

5 REPLIES 5

wmccrack
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had LTE preferred for my Canadian service

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yeah unfortunately this is due to the 3G and what the US is doing with their networks, probably won't get any better. A local option and voip apps are prob the best way to go, definitely more reliable and most likely more cost effective.

Unless they overhaul their roaming networks/options which I am assuming is unlikely.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@wmccrack 250mb can be used up very quickly.  Did you look to see what network you were connected with?  Just wondering if you were on AT&T or T~Mobile.  In your phone settings did you have the preferred data network set to 4G/LTE?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

It will be worse and worse as US is cutting off some services.

You can download area of interest to use with Google maps off line even though it will have limited usage (navigation for car only).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@wmccrack  Sorry for you experience

Yes, roaming is tricky, there are too many variables there, main part is that it depends on US carriers as well

I suggest you open ticket with PM support and they might work out something for you

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

Need Help? Let's chat.