cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vancouver Skytrain Cellular Coverage

blau120039
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently using Chatr (which is on the Rogers network).

Back in July 2016, Rogers installed LTE cellular service in the Dunsmuir Skytrain Tunnel in downtown Vancouver (http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/downtown-skytrain-tunnels-finally-get-wireless-service)

I am considering switching to Public Mobile.

Does Public Mobile (Telus network) have cellular service/data in the Dunsmuir tunnel yet?

15 REPLIES 15

That's good to hear we can stay connected on the entire skytrain now. Bad news for anyone wanting to end a call with the excuse....sorry but I'm going to lose you I'm at stadium station.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

Announced today:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/02/26/1991180/0/en/TELUS-lights-up-wireless-service-...

Yeah, saw that this morning too @sheytoon.  This is good news, but definitely ironic.  I was waiting for this for about 3 and a half years, and then finally moved about 6 months ago and no longer take the route.  Oh well, better it be there than not, even if I can't take advantage of it.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Bell got it at same time as Telus. Bell doesn't deploy separate equipment for SkyTrain coverage.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I read about this first on MobileSyrup yesterday. In that article it notes that Rogers, Bell and Freedom already had service in the tunnel. Rogers in August 2017, Freedom in May 2017. I guess Telus is last to the party.

But this iPhoneinCanada article indicates that Bell went live simultaneously with Telus in the tunnel, suggesting shared infrastructure was deployed.

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Great news for us using Public and getting a signal now between Stadium-Chinatown and Waterfront stations

TK123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have noticed in the last week, I have been getting full cellular coverage between Burrard, Granville, and Stadium skytrain stations

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I'm from Vancouver. The answer is no, there is no service.

There is service on the Canada line though

srlawren

@stonechucker I'd ask you to send some of that coffee my way, but it would be pretty cold by the time it got to Vancouver.  😉  Good luck tomorrow!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

It's almost 2 in Ontario, I work at 8.

Darn ballgame went too long, I'm still excited!

going to mainline coffee tomorrow 🙂

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren yeah probably.... but not many people here in the forum replying ( other then the odd person or you or me..lol...heck i don't even know why i'm still up and replying at this time lol.....) ....

cheers

srlawren

@jheili99 I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only PM community member that rides the train on a near daily basis.  🙂  I'm shoulder to shoulder with people daily, a few of 'em have to be on here at least!  🙂

jheili99

good thing we have you @srlawren ... i doubt that anybody else could have answered / confirmed this... i for myself never take the skytrain....too much of a mess and way way way too busy....

cheers

srlawren

@blau120039 @jheili99 I can answer this defintively for you:  there is NO signal between just west of Stadium station all the way through Waterfront station on Telus/PM.  Rogers have an exclusive agrement with TransLink for the time-being unfortunately, so only Rogers/Fido/Chatr get a signal down there.

And yes, I have personal experience:  I ride the Expo line 4-5 days a week, from Surrey thorugh to either Granville (if I'm heading to my Yaletown office, by way of switching to Canada Line at VCC) or Burrard if I'm visiting my current client's office near that station.  There is also a dead spot in the tunnel around Columbia station in New West, but most of the rest of Expo is solid.  

EDIT: although I find it annoying to be without a signal once underground on the train, honestly, the whole trip through to Burrard takes maybe 3-4 mins.  I que up enough articles or tweets to look at before leaving Stadium or heading down at Burrard/Granville, and I get by.  🙂

OH also, Canada line is totally fine.  I personally rode from River Rock station to Yaletown and Waterfront many times, and the entire trip seems to have flawless coverage.  You have to remember the Expo tunnels were dug in the early 80's, while Canada line was in the mid to late 00's.  🙂

jheili99

hi..

sorry but i highly doubt that anybody ( incl PM staff ) could answer that... i might be wrong.... i would go and call telus that question to be honest .....PM belongs to telus but it's still different...kind of you can't call rogers for a chatr issue thing

willkommen ( only say it in german because your username has german in it as well...lol.... )

Need Help? Let's chat.