cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using cell network as hotspot

sulynsi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I work from home. I often do training, which requires running a conferencing program, VIP and a training database. If I was to get the most expensive program, ($50.00 for 8GB of Data at 3G speed), could I use my phone as a hotspot as a replacement for my current internet service?

9 REPLIES 9

@sulynsi wrote:

I appreciate  your answer.

I can see from yours and a couple of others, that using 3G through PM as a permanent solution is not a good idea, however, I may be able to use it for short term usage, or as a back up in case my internet goes down.

Or to do the conference when away from home and conventional internet.

Terry

kaseyfield
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I use it as a hot spot for my work and haven't had an issue yet.  I get great coverage from home and my clients though so it hasn't been an issue for me 🙂

sulynsi

LOL - not thinking 'cheap out' more like 'economize'

However, there is another reason - the service where we are (rural Maritimes) is ok, but certainly not the service available in high density areas. I'm hoping that if competition comes into our area (such as the ability to use services like these as a hotspot) it may incentivise the main players to up the ante.

sulynsi

I appreciate  your answer.

I can see from yours and a couple of others, that using 3G through PM as a permanent solution is not a good idea, however, I may be able to use it for short term usage, or as a back up in case my internet goes down.

sulynsi

thank you - so its ok as back up but not as a permanent solution

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sulynsi wrote:

I work from home. I often do training, which requires running a conferencing program, VIP and a training database. If I was to get the most expensive program, ($50.00 for 8GB of Data at 3G speed), could I use my phone as a hotspot as a replacement for my current internet service?

Yeah I don't think it's a good idea. If you rely on the internet as your method of doing business then why would you try to cheap out? That thing needs to ON. How bad for business would it be if the thing was unreliable and interrupting your activities? Not saying this place is a problem...just don't cheap out.

But hey it's your money and your business.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sulynsi wrote:

@sulynsi  Yes, you could use the phone as a hotspot the question though is 8GB per 30 days enough data? Is than 3G speed adequate?

Not sure what you are paying for Internet but in ON you can get unlimited usage for speeds of 50-100 Mbps for ~30/month. Keep in mind that a home Internet service via cable or Fibre is a lot more reliable the mobile 3G.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile allows hotspot usage. However if service is disrupted, you may be out of service for a couple of days.

Here are some things to consider:
Is 3Mbps enough speed?
Do you have a backup if PM Data is unavailable?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I would recommend that you stay with your isp if you need your internet access for work.  In case of network issues with PM then youe would not be able to make conference calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.