cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Public Mobile in the USA?

blueno1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do connect add on to phone and text while in the USA?

6 REPLIES 6

blueno1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

MrSpock, it did not work with amazon sim! What did I do wrong?

I second this suggestion, usually is much more reliable and cost effective.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The rumour is that Public has arranged with T-Mobile to allow roaming on their 2G network when 3G might not be available in the area you're in due to them shutting off their 3G.

Regulars here would love to hear reports of this in fact happening.

As an extra bit, you can receive texts without any roaming add-on.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @blueno1   If you just need a number to call someone text, the best thing to do is to get a VoIP app like Fongo or TextNow.  They will give a a new 10 digits number and you can use it as a secondary "phone".  It will work as long as you have Wifi.   

To make it better, you can buy local data sim card, then you have Mobile Data and you can use your VoIP app whenever you have Mobile Data turned on as well

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@blueno1 hi personaly with all the 3g being shutdown in the states I would stay away from a talk and text add on get a local sim or a travel sim on amazon 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@blueno1   You need to first buy Talk/Text US roaming from My Account.

Make sure you remember buying add-on is a 2 steps process, Load fund and then go back an buy

When you are in US, then change your network selection from Automatic to either T-Mobile or AT&T , check which one works

However, please read the disclaimer

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, United States (U.S.) carriers have started turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks. As a result, customers using U.S. roaming add-ons will be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. Customers may also experience changes to services such as welcome messages, voicemail notifications, usage notifications for voice, notifications when trying to make an international call, interactive voice responses (IVR), as well as the ability to set up voicemail while in the U.S. This shutdown will not impact your service in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.