cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Data when a call comes in

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I remember seeing something about this issue a month or 2 ago. I experienced that issue for the first time where as soon as my phone rings my data shuts down if I'm streaming or on a website etc, im assuming not much can be done about that. I couldn't locate the thread but I didn't see all the potential resolutions.... If any? 

6 REPLIES 6

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Samsung S9, I am ok at home bc I am on wifi so I can access both then, but when Im on the road and am hooked up to data that is when I notice it.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I am guessing it is network, because I never had this issue with Koodo it worked seamlessly so if i was on the phone i could do a google search etc.

I mean everything shuts down - I agree with the audio/video thing, but if I am browsing on a website, as soon as the call comes in (just ringing even) if I click on something it will just be stalled and can't access anything at all

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@JL9   What phone do you have again?

you tried a different phone?

You got this experience everywhere or just at a particular spot (like home?)

again, as we pointed out, since 3G, you can browse and voice at the same time, so, it's very likely is a network capacity issue as pointed out above, there is a slight chance that it is a device issue , that is why best to test it out on different phones

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @JL9 , I recall others posting similar questions recently.

Here is one by 'blank' member... 🙂

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Data-when-on-a-call/td-p/832995?emcs_t=S2...

Possibly network related, or is it settings/phone...

@JL9 wrote:

I remember seeing something about this issue a month or 2 ago. I experienced that issue for the first time where as soon as my phone rings my data shuts down if I'm streaming or on a website etc, im assuming not much can be done about that. I couldn't locate the thread but I didn't see all the potential resolutions.... If any? 

Data use is possible while in a phone call.  However, you'll be forced to use the HSPA network because an LTE connection isn't possible during a vocie call.  As for some data activities stopping, something such a audio or video streaming has to stop. I would actually consider it very poor software programming if music or a video didn't stop when a phone call came in.    

If you're talking about any and all data not working during a phone call, this could be becaues of HSPA network capacity issues.  This network is, in my opinion, on it's last legs, there may be just enough infrastruture assigned to it for phone calls, but not enough capacity after that to provide reliable data connnections.

Need Help? Let's chat.