cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Reception drops

domspaz7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been having dropped calls recently, but today i have noticed i am actually losing cell reception for a split second and then it comes back.  So if i was calling via whatsapp, i still get a dropped call.  What is causing the cell reception to drop completely.  I know many people on public mobile complaining about dropped calls. I have a new Samsung S24Ultra and i am using an e-sim.  I switched to e-sim b/c i was earlier told that it could be sim related.

What is going on? The problem is worse when I am calling a public mobile user to another public mobile user. We have twice the likelihood of a dropped call.

7 REPLIES 7

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@domspaz7 

More customer complains about voice quality and dropped calls.  I forwarded this issue to PM staff, but will need to wait to hear their response. 

From a different forum (reddit, RFD), one customer had the following fix:

For iPhone:
settings>>>cellular>>>Primary>>>network selection>>> turn off automatic network selection and reboot

If possible 5G network roll out issue, maybe try to force your phone to stay on LTE/4G instead of auto. 

tttyuhccr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yeah seems far away. But the latency to having your IP away far im not against if the quality is there but its not. They are likely in their lowest quality data centers where there is cheap address space vs the downtown core. browserleaks.com is a good site for general computer stuff and privacy info. Another good app on mobile is called "LTE Discovery" you can see the cell tower specifics and bands. But definitely in my experience as a customer of 5+years with no issues the last probably 6 months almost 100% of my calls are dropping wether its 2mins or 30 they eventually drop. I know its not my hardware as I am very tech experienced, its definitely the network and we need help and invesegation into this issue.

domspaz7

Wow. Thanks for this.  my IP is Nepean, Ontario, which is near Ottawa.  I'm in Toronto area.  Wth

tttyuhccr

Lol oh man same here. Its crazy how this is suppose to be the quality Telus backbone. Something recent is defenitly janky. It never used to be like this on straight 4G. Now that its on the discount "5G" band I've noticed the issues. The speed is the same if not slower and its constantly bouncing between 5G,5G+,LTE+, and LTE. And im in the city in Ontario for example and if u are on the cell network not wifi go to browserleaks.com/ip you can see the IP and Org of our connection. Mine is routing to a Montreal IP most of the time and it never use to do this, and a TELUS Mobility-Quebec division on netowrk ASN852, what is yours? Has CS_Admin been able to have a Network Engineer look into our obvious droped call issues?

domspaz7

Yep.  Last 5 months is right. I get the same thing.  I have converted some people to public and now they hate me. Lol.  Not sure why Telus would have such issues.  The strange thing is, why can't they check their logs to see when I lost connection?  Public asks me questions as if they don't have the logs available to them.

tttyuhccr

I too have noticed last 4 months the amount of dropped calls. Almost every call now drops now and this is after 5+ years of service with PM. Something is up in thier network

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@domspaz7 

Not sure if widespread issue, but your post is the 4th post today about call reception issue.  

Might want to try to reboot your phone.  Network reset of phone (note: this will erase saved Wifi passwords).  

If that does not work, you may need to submit a ticket for customer service agent help.  Click on the chat icon on the right corner of website. Follow prompts to submit a ticket. 

Need Help? Let's chat.