cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Airalo Abroad

rockwjk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey everyone! 

So I’m going abroad in a few months and decided to plan ahead. As many of you know, PM doesn’t have data roaming (besides the US) so I was looking for eSIMs. I stumbled upon Airalo on tiktok and it looks like a decent option especially for where I’m looking to go. Given this, I still want to keep my Canadian number because I’m not there for too long. As my phone has a dual system, would I still be able to keep my PM plan for my number and then use Airalo for data at the same time? I’m sure charges on PM are mere impossible but I just want to know if I can still receive texts and calls.

Thanks!

P.S I think it would also make sense to revert to a cheaper PM plan too right?

4 REPLIES 4

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@rockwjk wrote:

Hey everyone! 

So I’m going abroad in a few months and decided to plan ahead. As many of you know, PM doesn’t have data roaming (besides the US) so I was looking for eSIMs. I stumbled upon Airalo on tiktok and it looks like a decent option especially for where I’m looking to go. Given this, I still want to keep my Canadian number because I’m not there for too long. As my phone has a dual system, would I still be able to keep my PM plan for my number and then use Airalo for data at the same time? I’m sure charges on PM are mere impossible but I just want to know if I can still receive texts and calls.

Thanks!

@rockwjk I use an Airalo esim for data when I am travelling. As noted by others, your PM service will not work at all outside of CAN and US. If you want to receive calls, get Textnow or other similar program and forward your PM number to the new number. If you want to downgrade to a cheaper plan while you are gone go ahead but make sure you will not lose out on any promos you may have had and make sure the plan you are on is one that will still be available when you get back (I'm thinking the $40/15GB promo that a lot of people signed up for).

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@rockwjk 

It might be best to leave your Public Mobile SIM card in Canada and let your account go into suspended state, which it can for up to 90 days before deactivating.

Just make sure that you reactivate the plan before day 90 and recommend doing so on the $15 plan.

Then when you return, you can schedule the plan change back to your desired monthly plan.

Agree with @cellphoneuser1.

You can use an Airalo eSIM abroad, but keep in mind that your PM SIM will be completely out of service. No calls, no texts in any direction. No data at all.

The only thing you can do is make emergency calls, and to be honest, you don't need a SIM for that anyway.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@rockwjk wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Thanks!

You can't receive text and calls using Public Mobile there. It's not only data roaming not avaialble besides US. There's no roaming service for anything outside the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.