cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used half my months data in one day?

Oldschool23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So based on my data useage I somehow used half my data in one day and now I am out? Due to renew cycle mid month. I received the notifications late last night while I was sleeping that I had used 95 percent of my data. Not sure what happened. Has this happened to anyone else?

9 REPLIES 9

@webbeyes wrote:

This happened to my wife's iPhone 8 when she was still on Bell.  She was downloading Netflix shows for our 4 year old for our trip, and it booted her off her WiFi while she slept and used up gigs of Data.  Needless to say Bell refused to refund.

Unknowingly using up all of your plan's data is surely upsetting, but there is a silver lining is that how with a postpaid accont at the other carriers, they now must seek permission from the customer to let the data keep working after $50 of dtaa overage fees.  At Public Mobile, there's no way to spend money by accident on data. 

webbeyes

This happened to my wife's iPhone 8 when she was still on Bell.  She was downloading Netflix shows for our 4 year old for our trip, and it booted her off her WiFi while she slept and used up gigs of Data.  Needless to say Bell refused to refund.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Oldschool23  Check the data usage on your phone and drill down to see which app was the culprit. Make the necessary changes within  the app settings to prevent it from happening again.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Oldschool23unfortunatly,   this was a phone/ user issue not a PM issue. I would not call it a hickuo. There Is no feature to limit data purchased usage On this nor any other carriers.

If you run out of data you can top up manually and ask mods to do an early renewal  to start your plan.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your settings to see if you have auto updates for apps.  Also turn off GPS.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@Oldschool23  Go thru your apps to see which one(s) have consumed most of your data. There was a member a couple of months ago that had somehow gotten an obscure vintners app that measured air and soil temperature and burned thru most of their data in about a day. You may have inadvertently picked up a bug of some kind that's hiding eating up your data.

@Oldschool23 check to see if your WiFi may have been turned off by mistake . Also, you can do such things as enable updates only on WiFi.  Restrict background app data usage etc.

@Oldschool23 wrote:

It's a 7 plus. I've been with public mobile on the 5gb plan without going over data since the summer. I've loved the plan/savings so far, this is the first hiccup 

Oldschool23

It's a 7 plus. I've been with public mobile on the 5gb plan without going over data since the summer. I've loved the plan/savings so far, this is the first hiccup 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Oldschool23 , what plan are you on?  If you are using a phone for the very first time, sync can consume a lot of data if you are not connected to WiFi.  You can check your usage history in the self serve account to validate data usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.