cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us roaming not working help!

Timm3h
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
So this morning I purchase a 1gb add on I have verified that it shows up under my add ons. I am currently in the states and the data is not working. I have tried both at&t and T-Mobile. I have tried rebooting the phone. I have verified that data roaming is on and it is still not working. Any ideas?
54 REPLIES 54

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Happenis wrote:

Grrrrr

I haven't used these forums much so I don't know if everything is checked.

I have two different Android phones that I'm trying to use in the USA. On one phone I paid $20 for talk, text and data. On the other phone $20 for one gig of data. I've literally spent all day and neither phone will connect. 

Seems to me that they should work as soon as you cross the border. Or at the very least after you reboot. I've tried forcing T-Mobile. Forcing at&t. And auto. The APN settings don't show networks other than Telus's. 

Hello please. It's not just the $40 that I'm out. I really need the phones to work

@Happenis purchasing add-ons is a non-intuitive, two-step process.  Do you see the $20 in available funds sitting on both accounts?  If so, you haven't completed the second step yet.  You can see the full process illustrated here:  HOWTO: Purchasing Add-ons

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

You've used a thread that a couple of years old so you won't be getting alot of feedback. You should start your own thread for maximum eyes on the problem.

Now...log into My Account / Data & Add-ons...do you see the 10 Day US Roaming Add-on on each phone ? If not, then have a look at Available Funds...do you see the $$ sitting there waiting for you to go back and select the Add-on you want.

Let us know how you're making out but if still not working, best to start a new thread to get maximum assistance.

Good luck.

@HappenisHave the add ons show up at your account status?? APN settings are seperate from carrier settings, for android you have to manually add them if you so choose.

Happenis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Grrrrr

I haven't used these forums much so I don't know if everything is checked.

I have two different Android phones that I'm trying to use in the USA. On one phone I paid $20 for talk, text and data. On the other phone $20 for one gig of data. I've literally spent all day and neither phone will connect. 

Seems to me that they should work as soon as you cross the border. Or at the very least after you reboot. I've tried forcing T-Mobile. Forcing at&t. And auto. The APN settings don't show networks other than Telus's. 

Hello please. It's not just the $40 that I'm out. I really need the phones to work

MarieHelene_L
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Happenis

I did look at it and I understand your confusion. That's why I gave you another link that should give you the information you need Smiley Happy

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

Happenis
I appreciate help. I'm just saying I don't know the point of that link that was given. Did you even look at it?

MarieHelene_L
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @Happenis,

I'm sorry that this link was not helpful to you. We are trying our best to help you and have your problem solved quickly. 

To reset your APN, I recommend the link below. You can choose your phone model and then scroll down to select your carrier, which in this case would be Public Mobile. It will give you the exact APN settings you need to have. 

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/

Thanks, 

Marie

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

Happenis
I have no idea whay a Canadian company would be using a foreign link. Against my better judgement I opened the link. While it didn't brick my phone it also helps in no way whatsoever

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Happenis,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Can you verify the APN and make sure it's configured according to PM? Here is a link: lockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/settings.php?id=1019

You can also try toggling between 3G & LTE for any improvements, test your SIM in another device and another SIM in your device. Please compare behavior, this can help in determining the root of the issue.

Please let us know how it goes,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Happenis
By 5 minutes I meant the signal would be crappy for up to 5 minutes. Then it comes back, albeit very slow, for maybe a minute or two if I'm lucky. Then gone for another 5 minutes

srlawren

@Shazia_K, is there anything you can do to help @Happenis?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Happenis
Thank you for replying.
Believe me I've tried what you suggested. I've spent half a day trying to get this working (for more than 5 minutes at a time).
Very frustrating

srlawren

@Happenis try chanigng your network settings from automatic network selection to manual, let it scan for available networks, and then select T-Mobile.  [Roam Mobility uses T-Mo network and I've had good luck with it in Vegas in the past.]  If that still doesn't work, try selectin AT&T instead to see if it's any better for you.

Happenis
I'm a geek and I can't get it working. Had little to no service in Detroit, and the same here in Las Vegas. As much as I wasn't thrilled with Roam assume least it usually worked. Unfortunately I didn't bring my Roam SIM as I assumed this would work. Has anyone figured out if changing APN settings makes a difference?

Alexander5689
Data working again. Connection speed not upto the par as I was getting in Canada but atleast it's working now.

srlawren

@stewartr that's great news!!!!  Hopefully the issue with the roaming partner(s) has been resolved finally!

stewartr
My data has started working ☺️

srlawren

@computergeek541 indeed.  

If I were to wager a bet, I'd say it's likely dictated by one or both of the US roaming partners and not by PM/Telus, based on them calling Canadian data GB's 1024MB.  

lxfontes wrote:

12GB Data
2475.229  /  12288 MB
US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day)
680.371  /  1000 MB

Has anyone noticed that the US roaming add-on is 24MB short of a gigabyte?  I know it's a small difference and someone will say that some people consider 1GB to equal 1000MB and that storage media companies have been advertising like that forever.  However, that's inconsistent with the 12GB domestic data.  That one is actually 12 true gigabytes but the U.S. roaming is using the simplified calculation method. 

lxfontes

I'm in the same situation. Bought a 1GB addon.

Still 5 days / 300MB in my addon and can't access anything.

I have an iphone 6s and currently in NY / T-Mobile. I've been going from hotel - office all along, so unlikely to be a location thing.

Tried rebooting, taking the sim out, updating APN, and no luck.

I thought I could have gone over my regular allowance, but it is also not the case:

12GB Data
2475.229  /  12288 MB
US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day)
680.371  /  1000 MB

It is really frustrating as I use my phone to pay for things / transportation. 

@Mary_M

Alexander5689
It's frustating now, USA data roaming not working for almost 5 days now. Public mobile did credited my account for the inconvenience but I want service not freebies.

My friend who is with TELUS has no problem in connecting with AT&T or T-mobile network over here.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey all, 

We're currently experiencing some issues with our data services while roaming to the US. If you have been affected, please send us a private message including your phone number, alternate contact number and location in the US. 

**Please make sure that your add-ons are active, and try connecting to TMobile. If data services still do not work, please send us the information mentioned.

Respectfully,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

stewartr
Problem is persisting. I can access this forum and the public mobile site so I know I am on the Public Mobile network, but it's blocking the rest of the internet!

Ameenh
In Florida, subscribed to data plan, can confirm data still not working on both at&t and T-Mobile. For both me and my wife. Will PM provide credits or refunds?

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sorry, I've been away guys... have we had any MOD updates on this item yet?

stewartr
Still no data access here. I can access the public mobile web site at full speed for some reason but no other site, and none of my apps can connect to their services (Gmail, Twitter, Facebook)

srlawren

@PostPunk that is unfortunate.

@Mary_M do you happen to have any updates?

PostPunk
Well I am connected to T-Mobile so that doesn't account for my issues...

Richard3
For the record, I heard about the AT&T outage from @Mary_M, so my wife (who was in the US yesterday) switched her carrier to T-Mobile and made sure her APN setting was correct. Sadly, no dice. (She also tried restarting her phone and taking the SIM card out for a few minutes.) Hope this can be fixed before our next trip!

srlawren

Hi everyone, it seems like this is an AT&T issue.  It's affecting Freedom Wireless (formerly Wind) customers travelling in the US, also:  http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/01/29/freedom-mobile-usa-data-roaming-outage/.

Suggestion:  since PM I beleive still has roaming agreements with both AT&T and T-Mobile, if you are affected by this issue, could you try manually selecting the T-Mobile network to see if it helps?

EDIT: it seems that @Shutdown beat me to this by a couple of hours.  Oops!

Need Help? Let's chat.