cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

AdamLove
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
  • What is the best phone to upgrade to....
  • I currently use the LG Phoenix 3.....
34 REPLIES 34

AdamLove

Does anyone know if in the following year the phone technology is going to better then currently offered but suppliers and is it a good idea to wait for following year to buy new phone as hardware... ?

@AdamLove a pretty good phone. Totally up to you. You can buy now or wait. I would wait because these days are  close and help me save some $.

AdamLove

Hi there...

Is the Umidigi A7Pro a good phone. And should I upgrade now or wait for end of the year sale like boxing day and Christmas...?

AdamLove

Hi there...

I want to have a great camera...

Which version of Xiaomi are you looking at can I ask you if you do not mind ?

Hi @AdamLove ,

Any phone that uses the following frequency bands will work:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/where-to-buy-a-compatible-phone

@AdamLove , we need a few more parameters in order to provide a more focused response.  Any phone that has compatible bands will work on Public Mobile.  For the most part, best is more to do with wants and needs and not this service.  If you provide some details, I will try to give you suggestions.  Right now I am using a Umidigi F2.  I am looking at getting a Xiaomi for my next phone.  My focus is on value, lots of features for little money.  

AdamLove

Hi there...

I want to know...  What is the best phone to use with PM ?

AdamLove

Would you recommend UMIDIGI phones. ?

As long as the sim size is the same then you can use the same sim.  If you previous sim is a micro sim then it will not fit in new phones that use nano sim which is smaller.  You might either need to resize it or purchase a new sim which has multiple sizes 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AdamLove wrote:

I want to have good camera. 

Text

Talk

Data

Social media 

Web surfing and for some mobile pay and banking

Any compatible phone will do text, talk (of course 🙂 ...it's a phone after all), data.

Social media is accessed via apps for iOS or Android or web sites.

There's almost always some kind of browser in any "smartphone".

Mobile pay is more dependent on the payment card. Apple and Google have mobile pay apps. Samsung phones have their own as well as Google Pay. Some payment cards work with some Pay apps.

Banking would depend on your bank as to whether they use an app or web. They would support Apple or Android.

So that leaves you with the camera as your criteria for a phone.

@AdamLove You will have to manually back up your files/photos. Contacts are usually backed up on your Gmail or iCloud account depending on the device. If you are on latest Android, you can back up a lot of things to your Google Account. 

Hi @AdamLove 

Yes you can pop in the same SIM. If your new phone uses a different size, you can use or remove the adapter that came with your SIM. Just be sure your phone is compatible with PM network.

To transfer all your files and contacts, you can do that via bluetooth and back it up via USB and then restore. It really depends what phone models you have.

@AdamLove Yes, you can use your SIM in another phone. Just make sure it is unlocked. Save your files on SD card or do a cloud synchronization to save files from old phone. You can save your contacts on your SIM, so when you put it inside your new phone, it will catch all your contacts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AdamLove- As far as your plan is concerned, yes, you can just transfer your SIM to the new phone (assuming the new phone is compatible, and not locked to another carrier).  As for transferring files, that depends on phone.

AdamLove

When I get new phone can I just take SIM from old phone and put in new phone..

And how can I transfer all my files and contacts...?

AdamLove

I want to have good camera. 

Text

Talk

Data

Social media 

Web surfing and for some mobile pay and banking

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AdamLove "best" with no other constraints or wishlist items is very difficult as there is just so much out there.   Most mid-range devices should be a noticeable upgrade, if this is the correct spec sheet for your current phone: https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_k4_(2017)-8489.php.  If that's the spec sheet, then the RAM is generous but just about everything else is quite dated: CPU, display, etc.

If you're really looking for overall best and money is no object, most will probably steer you toward the flagship Samsung devices, like the S20/S20 Ultra, or the upcoming Note 20 series.  These are very good devices, though I'm not a fan of Samsung's flavour of Android (even though newer ones are generally much improved).  If you're partial to LG, you may want to look at the LG Velvet, or the LG V60 with it's cool second screen case.

You could also look at a folding device like the Galaxy Fold or Moto Razr, though make sure you look into the reviews and know what you're getting yourself into.  These are flagship-priced devices with quite a few compromises.  They're cool though, but probably not a great choice for most.  Newer versions of both are coming soon, too.

Another option in the higher end but not quite as ridiculously expensive are the OnePlus 8 Pro (though I think there are supply issues), or perhaps the upcoming Pixel 5 (skip the 4/4XL, though the upcoming 4a might be an option).  Huawei make some great hardware but are stuck without Google ecosystem, making them a poor choice for just about anyone at the moment unfortunately.  

EDIT: further thoughts... although I'm not a fan of the Samsung world and have avoided them for my own use, they are very good devices overall.  And they have a huge benefit over other Android phones, which is 3rd party support.  Just about any case manufacturer supports the popular Samsung models, and quickly after the device comes out.  And I ran into an issue with my OnePlus device where a relatively new client I've picked up won't let me use most of their services (MS Teams, Outlook, etc) from my phone because it's not on their supported list.  This is probably more of a niche problem affecting some BYOD users with some employers, and after a few years of OnePlus loyal usage this is the first time I've been hit by something like that.  Annoying, but not enough to sway me (yet).  But you can bet that would not be an issue on a Samsung device, or, if you're into it, an iPhone.  There again, iPhones are not my thing, but they are a great product that countless many love.  I don't personally use either brand but rarely hesitate to recommend either to friends and family when asked.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@AdamLove wrote:

@AdamLove  Google Pixel 4a or any Android One phone (by Nokia or Motorola).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous 

I am thinking about using prepaid cc, similar to KOHO, to do online payment.

Exactly. In the case of retail, in this day of tap payment (or hover as I do), using it on the phone is easy. You have it with you anyway. The prepaid makes it so you're only exposed to the loss of your current balance...not your credit limit.

popping

@Anonymous 

I am thinking about using prepaid cc, similar to KOHO, to do online payment.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@AdamLove 

Depends on what you are comfortable using and what your price point is. 

I would Get the S20 or The iPhone 11 or even the new iPhone SE. The pixel 4 is also an option for you. 

Or you could go economy with a lesser priced android.

Check out this article for best phones of 2020.

https://www.t3.com/us/features/best-smartphone

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@AdamLove wrote:

@AdamLove  The new iPhone SE. 😎

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @popping . I meant Google Pay. I know they're on the Play store. But they have so far decided to work for Samsung Pay and Apple Pay. Not yet Google Pay.

So you can't upgrade to 10 with their phones?

The A5 pro came with android 9.  So, I went with AOSP android 10.  As for google pay, I am able to install it even with unlocked bootloader.  Magisk hide can make the phone look normal to apps that don't play nice with unlocked bootloader.  

The F2 came with android 10 and so I decided to stay with the locked bootloader.  Umidigi offers pretty good value for the hardware.  These days it is hard to buy on Aliexpress with having to put up with 3 month long shipping times.  Amazon is not carrying the newer models.  

For Google Pay, it's that Koho doesn't work on it. I have it installed. It would work with other proper credit cards. But like popping, I don't want to use these phone Pay apps with a real card. Which is why I like the Koho thing. It works with my Samsung with Samsung Pay.

@popping : I would say this is about upgrading phones. Right on topic. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @popping . I meant Google Pay. I know they're on the Play store. But they have so far decided to work for Samsung Pay and Apple Pay. Not yet Google Pay.

The A5 pro came with android 9.  So, I went with AOSP android 10.  As for google pay, I am able to install it even with unlocked bootloader.  Magisk hide can make the phone look normal to apps that don't play nice with unlocked bootloader.  

The F2 came with android 10 and so I decided to stay with the locked bootloader.  Umidigi offers pretty good value for the hardware.  These days it is hard to buy on Aliexpress with having to put up with 3 month long shipping times.  Amazon is not carrying the newer models.  

popping

@Anonymous 

Sorry for misread your question.

Google Play let me install Google Pay on my A5 Pro.

But I do not like to use "pay" apps on my phone.  I will uninstall it.

Oracle:  Sorry for the off-topic posts.  You are welcome to move some posts to Lounge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

popping

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping and others

Are those Umidigi's Android One? ie. just Android..no bloatware? I'm intrigued about something like the Motorola One Hyper. But the Koho app isn't yet compatible with Google Pay. Get on with it Koho.

Edit: ok they say stock Android on the S3 Pro. But they don't say Android One. So I guess that's some kind of extra cost for manufacturers to subscribe to.

No.  It is not Android One.

Umidigi does not provider OS update from my search from Internet.  But Umidigi is good with security update.  I had at least 3 - 4 update since last November.  But it is still on Android 9.

The bootloader is not locked. Update to the latest OS is not a problem.  @will13am has an A5 Pro and he loaded AOSP Android 10 ROM on his A5 Pro.

Google Play has KOHO: Personal Finance app on my A5 Pro.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.koho&hl=en_CA

@popping , @AdamLove I ordered one today off of the Umidigi store link on Aliexpress. So we will see if it comes.  Stay safe.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping and others

Are those Umidigi's Android One? ie. just Android..no bloatware? I'm intrigued about something like the Motorola One Hyper. But the Koho app isn't yet compatible with Google Pay. Get on with it Koho.

Edit: ok they say stock Android on the S3 Pro. But they don't say Android One. So I guess that's some kind of extra cost for manufacturers to subscribe to.

popping

@gblackma wrote:

Currently @AdamLove  the Umidigi A7pro the 4g, 128gig is on sale at Aliexpress for $175 Canadian. 

https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_a7pro_overview.html 

Stay safe. 

@AdamLove 

The new A7 Pro is on pre-order.  If you need your new phone right away, look some where else.  Order from AiiExpress, you may be charged by Canada Custom for sale tax depending on your luck. 

Last November, I order my older Umidigi A5 Pro from amazon.ca because of quick shipping and easy to return just in case I did not like it.

Have a better and better days!

Need Help? Let's chat.