cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to nation wide calling without rebuilding entire plan?

Pantsontyler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the wonderful 4gb/40 plan, with unlimited texting and province wide calling, but have been travelling a lot and wanted to see about upgrading to nation wide calling. Is there a way to do that without losing my plan? It seems like I have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch, and obviously, my data plan is no longer available as it was a promo. Help?

16 REPLIES 16

Pantsontyler

Update: Hangouts Dialer where have you been all my life?? This app has saved me 🙂 I really only needed to make a quick couple of calls back into Ontario while I'm out of province for the week, and this app is now doing exactly what I needed it to. HUGE thanks for this recommendation, and I'll be sure to pay this advice forward, because it is simply fantastic.

I would just go the Hangouts Dialer route. With the app installed, you'll be able to make calls for free to almost any Canada or U.S. phone number for free.  It uses your internet/data connection to do this.

As for receiving your calls outside of your "home" province, that isn't supposed to work, but it's been reported many times by customers that incoming calls still come through ok when travelling to different provinces. 

As said earlier, what you're asking unfortunately isn't do-able (adding  unlmited Canada-wide calling but keeping all other aspects of your plan intact).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

@Pantsontyler wrote:

Yes I think the add on makes the most sense as it's not an issue I run into often. I didn't realize the add on minutes don't expire and carry over, so realistically I think the 200 minute add on would actually last me the full duration of my 90 day plan, possibly longer!

I would probably go with the 400 minute international addon.  it includes canda usa and 18 international.  and never expires till used up.  i had mine lasting over 1 year.

@mimmo correct, and work out slightly cheaper per minute at 400/$15 = 3.75c per min, vs. 200/$8 = 4c per min.  Minor, but if you're going to regularly need the mins anyway over a long period of time @Pantsontyler, and given that as noted they don't expire, it proably makes sense to purchase them at a quarter penny cheaper per min while also opening up calling to 18 countries if needed.

Do note that @will13am's suggestion of using data-based services may be an option too, and free.  You can get a free Fongo number based in your home province and enable call forwarding to that number before leaving your home province.  For outbound calls, I recommend Hangouts Dialer (on Android) or Hangouts (on iPhone) since you can have it verify your PM phone number by sending you a code in a text message, and afterward have it send your regular PM phone number as the outbound caller ID.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Pantsontyler wrote:

Yes I think the add on makes the most sense as it's not an issue I run into often. I didn't realize the add on minutes don't expire and carry over, so realistically I think the 200 minute add on would actually last me the full duration of my 90 day plan, possibly longer!

Yup. They don’t expire so they definitely will roll over from renewal to renewal until you use them up completely which is a pretty great feature. My in laws have province wide calling and we set them up

with the 200min LD plan for calling family back east. Lasts them 6-9 months no problem.  

mimmo

@Pantsontyler wrote:

I would probably go with the 400 minute international addon.  it includes canda usa and 18 international.  and never expires till used up.  i had mine lasting over 1 year.

Pantsontyler

That is indeed the plan I am on. And I do get 4G, otherwise the 3G plan definitely would have sufficed, but I really do love my plan. I just did not forsee a need for nation wide calling at the time. The LD add on I believe is my new friend!

Pantsontyler

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This question is a contradiction in terms.  How can something be changed without causing a change.  I am on the same plan, do travel from time to time, but not a whole lot.  I find the long distance add-on plus calling with data apps works fine.  The long distance costs at 3.75c per minute is pretty reasonable.  As mentioned, there is always the Koodo migration, revision 2 of course.

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pantsontyler so like @mimmo said you have to purchase long distance add-on you’ll have 400 mins no expire if you don’t use it as long as your account is active

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Pantsontyler wrote:

I have the wonderful 4gb/40 plan, with unlimited texting and province wide calling, but have been travelling a lot and wanted to see about upgrading to nation wide calling. Is there a way to do that without losing my plan? It seems like I have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch, and obviously, my data plan is no longer available as it was a promo. Help?

Unfortunately with the promo plan you are on there is no way except to add the LD addon.  If you were looking for the Canada wide calling I think you probably should have jumped on the Koodo migration offer where you could have increased your data bucket and had Canada wide calling for the same price.

@meocon, there really is nothing the mods can do for this.  There is no loyalty program here so you can't get a one off plan that isn't available to all.  They will just say to go to the plan builder and pick your plan.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

@meocon no need to ask the mods. They can not change the promo plans. 

meocon

@LEGO I think he’s on Fall 2016 Promo $120/12GB 90 days, aren’t you @Pantsontyler? Please correct me if i got a wrong thought

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Unfortunately theirs no way to switch to a plan that includes Canada wide while keeping the $40/4gb. Your best bet is to purchase LD add ons. If you don’t use a ton of minutes they will roll over indefinitely until you use them up at which time you can purchase another LD add on. It’s really the only option you have if you don’t want to lose your plan and should work out fairly well if you don’t use a ton of talk time. 

mimmo

Only real option if you want to keep the promo plan is to use long distance minutes addon. 

The other option is VoIP calling, or changing plans or providers, I think you were eligible for the koodo 6gb offer but that offer has since passed.

meocon

LEGO

If you are on 3G plan, then you can build 4 GB + 500 MB bonus at 3G for only $5 extra and you would get a Canada Wide Talk and some Data bonus. Total plan cost is $45. Woman Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.