cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock phone so sim can work

jussy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hello 

I’m trying to unlock my phone it says I need 4 digit code but I have not used this phone in over 10 years so just need to know what my options are here.

thank you 

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jussy wrote:

I need the PUK number

@jussy 

To Find Your PUK

A Personal Unlocking Key, or PUK code, allows you to reset your SIM card’s PIN number, after you’ve entered an incorrect PIN three times. To get your PUK code, please start a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon, to submit a ticket to the Customer Support Agents by clicking here link.

Where to find your PUK (publicmobile.ca)

@jussy wrote:

I’m trying to unlock phone to use other sim from other provider it says the phone is with you guys

@jussy 

Does a Public Mobile SIM card work inside this phone, and you are trying to get a different provider's SIM to work with this device?

It kind of sounds like the phone may be locked to Public Mobile/Telus from years ago, if I am understanding correctly.

*Is your phone locked? See here to check: https://www.weboost.com/blog/is-my-cell-phone-unlocked

Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

IF this does happen to be locked to Public Mobile you can use this link to

Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@jussy   what kind of phone is that ?  Exact brand and model?  Just thinking if this phone has the proper bands to be used on PM

If you have not used for 10 years,  the SIM is unusable...no PUK will be needed. 

If you need a pass code to get into your phone...try a factory reset. 

Then set it up and borrow a working SIM card to see if it works. 

Likely the phone is NOT carrier unlocked. Do you know what carrier it was on previously?

If Telus or Koodo it will work. If some other carrier there are ways to get it unlocked. 

@jussy   would you asked to enter a 4 digits  unlock code couple times, and you fail to enter the correct one and then it finally ask you for PUK?

@jussy wrote:

I need the PUK number

Please note that a PUK is not 4 digits.  What does it say exactly on the screen?

jussy

I need the PUK number

@jussy wrote:

I’m trying to unlock phone to use other sim from other provider it says the phone is with you guys

What is the message that your phone shows?  A code to unlock a phone to use at another carrier wouldn't be 4 digits.  Let's assume that the phone is locked to a carrier, but if that's true, the phone wouldn't ask for that type of unlock code when you insert your Public Mobile SIM card if it were locked to Public Mobile.

@jussy wrote:

What if I don’t remember the code?

Unfortunately, nobody at Public Mobile would be able to assist you with that. Some phone models can have a factory reset performed on them but using a specific combination of button presses, but that will delete everything on the phone.  Also, as the phone hasn't been used in 10 years, the device is probably older than 10 years old, there's a good chance that it wouldn't work at Public Mobile.

jussy

jussy

What if I don’t remember the code?

@jussy wrote:

I’m trying to unlock my phone it says I need 4 digit code but I have not used this phone in over 10 years so just need to know what my options are here.

The SIM card's PIN is 1234.  If it's a phone security password, only you, as the ower of the phone would know that code.

Need Help? Let's chat.