cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock a phone that have been locked with Public

MCP
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

how should we proceed to unlock a phone that have been locked with Public?

thanks in advance !

19 REPLIES 19

Is the phone pre 2017?

Before on PM was it on Telus or Koodo?

@Hoawalsh 

Pm does not lock phones. What is the exact message you see on your phone? Where did you get your phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hoawalsh : What make/model of phone? What are you seeing on the phone that makes you think it's locked? A message? A pop-up? Something written somewhere in the settings?

Did you try another non-Telus-family provider SIM?

@Hoawalsh wrote:

how do I unlock cell phone that has been locked by public mobile?

@Hoawalsh   When did you buy the phone from PM?  Phones purchased these days form PM should be all unlocked.   Was the phone you have now bought from PM? how you so certain that it was locked by PM?   I think PM just started selling phones not too long ago and they should be all unlocked

If you are pretty sure it was locked by PM , you can open a ticket with them.  But they can only unlock phones locked by them (or maybe they can help with phones locked by Telus)

If the phone you got was purchased from another carrier and was locked, you have to go back to the carrier you bought the phone from and request unlock there, not here at PM

Hoawalsh

how do I unlock cell phone that has been locked by public mobile?

@Sam1231 wrote:

My phone was bought in 2014 from PM outlet after Telus bought PM. you think that phone would be unlocked?

how would I know if my phone is locked or unlocked?

Yes, it is going to be locked unless somebody already unlocked it. To unlock it, you'll need to open a ticket by going to:  https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot

@Sam1231 wrote:

My phone was bought in 2014 from PM outlet after Telus bought PM. you think that phone would be unlocked?

Well, if it is locked to PM then it's not an issue with PM SIM cards. It can be an issue (and you'd need PM to unlock it) if you plan to use the phone with another carrier.

Always easy to test if a phone is carrier-locked: try using an active SIM card from any other carrier. (You can always borrow a SIM card from another phone, it only takes a couple minutes and a couple restarts, there's no risk of permanently messing up anything on the phone or the SIMs.)

Sam1231
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Korth There have been many phones sold after 2012 that were locked to Telus/Koodo/Public up until about 2017. Public can and absolutely will arange to unlock these devices.

@JoyLuck While Telus can be contacted to unlock a Telus phone, this isn't necessary. Public Mobile will arrange for it (Apple) or provide the unlock code (others).

@MCP wrote:

The phone was purchased at Walmart a couple of years ago.  I am trying to give it to someone because i have a new one.  When we put a  different sim in, it says "sim not supported".  Customer service told us that back in the days, when a PM sim card was insert in a phone, the phone was then lock with PM.

There were some makes of phones that would lock to the first SIM that was installed in it.  I believe Samsung was one.  If the phone is locked to the Telus Network you should be able to get the moderators to give you a code.  To contact them raise a trouble ticket through SIMon by clicking on the chat bubble in the bottom right hand corner of the screen

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@popping wrote:

@MCP wrote:

Hello,

thanks in advance !

When did you purchase a phone from PM?

PM had not sell any phone until a few days ago.  They are unlocked.

Back in the day when Public Mobile was not owned by Telus, they did sell phones.  However, those phones do not work on the current Telus network.  Unlocking would make no sense.  

MCP

The phone was purchased at Walmart a couple of years ago.  I am trying to give it to someone because i have a new one.  When we put a  different sim in, it says "sim not supported".  Customer service told us that back in the days, when a PM sim card was insert in a phone, the phone was then lock with PM.

@LurganIeUk 

That was before Telus took over, circa 2012. The old batteries in those old phones would be pretty dead by now. I'm not even sure if all the 2G-era devices would even be compatible with modern Canadian wireless.

@Korth wrote:

Public Mobile does not lock phones.

If the phone does not work with a Public Mobile SIM card then it is carrier-locked by someone else. And Public Mobile cannot unlock it.

Apparently in the past they did sell phones and they were locked. 

I would only assume the ones they just started selling are unlocked BUT the iPhone vintage was not one that was sold as unlocked. 

I would also assume the used phones they are selling are either trade ins or ex employee phones. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MCP wrote:

Hello,

thanks in advance !

When did you purchase a phone from PM?

PM had not sell any phone until a few days ago.  They are unlocked.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@MCP wrote:

Hello,

thanks in advance !

Is this phone locked to Telus? 

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/unlock-mobile-device

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@MCP wrote:

Hello,

thanks in advance !

@MCP Your phone will not be locked on public. PM does not provide phones so therefore there is nothing to unlock. They have started a pilot, selling unlocked used phones. Where did the phone come from? A locked Telus/Koodo phone would, I believe work on PM being parent companies. If that's where the phone came from, contact them to unlock.

Edited to add: If you have an old "legacy" PM phone from when they did sell locked ones, they would do it for you. Contact a moderator for help. You can contact the mods one of 2 ways. Click the chat bubble bottom right of the browser as shown in the picture and open a ticket through the automated ticketing system;

Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 12.40.34 PM.png

or you can contact them through direct messaging at the following link (note this way may take longer for a response);

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

In either case you should receive a reply within 48 hours though typically they are much faster. Watch the envelope icon top right for a reply.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

What is the phone brand and model#. 

Where did you buy it?

Was it used on any other carrier in the past?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile does not lock phones.

If the phone does not work with a Public Mobile SIM card then it is carrier-locked by someone else. And Public Mobile cannot unlock it, only the carrier which installed the lock can do so.

Need Help? Let's chat.