cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited text messaging

ElenaM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello I purchased your $15/m plan which includes unlimited text and picture messaging, but mms is not working unless my cellular data is on and it ate up all of

my data in a few days. How is that ‘unlimited’?? My husband has the same plan and it works fine 

Please activate the unlimited picture messaging as per the plan specs (I have a still of your webpage where it clearly states that) and restore my data to 0 used for this period.

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14

EleniS

seems to have fixed the problem, thanks so much!!!

@EleniS- In imessage settings, turn on send as sms and send as mms. I think there's a way to force sms but I'm not an iphone user. Press and hold maybe.

EleniS

It does work on Wifi.  I do have an iPhone, yes

@EleniS- Because you're not doing real SMS texting. You're using the instant messaging method in imessage which needs the internet. I'll bet it works when you connect to wifi.

(all assuming you have an iphone)

EleniS

I'm having the same problem.   As soon as my data runs out my texts don't work (send/receive).  How is that unlimited texting?  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Even without available data, standard MMS will still work. It's a different ball game if you have an iphone and have particular settings set.

To have run out of the small 250mb of data will require you to manage your data usage with not allowing updates of the OS or apps via cell data and to control which apps can help themselves to cell data and to not allow the switch over to cell data when out of wifi range.

It's your device that has taken all your data. That's up to you...not the company.

Adding - some phones will give you a notification of the presence of an MMS and then you turn on data to receive it. Some phones have a setting to automatically switch in and out of cell data when it sees an MMS either inbound or outbound.

jwaal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This link explains how to stop your apps from updating using data if you are using Android. That way you can keep data on if you wish. 

https://www.guidingtech.com/how-to-prevent-android-apps-auto-updating-on-mobile-data/

Meow
Mayor / Maire

MMS does not use your data even though data has to be on in order to send/receive MMS.

Having data on all the time give opportunity to other apps to connect and be connected to internet all the time.

You can try disabling background data usage for ALL apps but still some will go around it and connect at will.

@softech wrote:

@ElenaM  by design, MMS requires Data to be enabled to send and receive

However, no worry, while it needs to be turned on, it is not really using your limited data quota.  So, when you need to send and receive MMS, just enable data.  When you are done, turn it back off to converse data (in case other app stealing data on the background)

Perhaps disable background data on all apps.  Turning off mobile data will block the timely receipt of MMS.  

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@ElenaM wrote:

Hello I purchased your $15/m plan which includes unlimited text and picture messaging, but mms is not working unless my cellular data is on and it ate up all of

my data in a few days. How is that ‘unlimited’?? My husband has the same plan and it works fine 

Please activate the unlimited picture messaging as per the plan specs (I have a still of your webpage where it clearly states that) and restore my data to 0 used for this period.

Thanks 

The plan you are on has unlimited texting and mms. You need to have data turned on in your phone for mms. As @softech mentioned above mms does not use any actual data. If your data is depleting than look at the other apps on your phone which maybe using data in the background. You can turn those apps off from using background data.

It's both unlimited text {SMS) and mutimedia (MMS) messages.

ElenaM

This is confusing, since in my account it just says unlimited text and 100 Canada-wide minutes, whereas on the web site it says unlimited text and picture messaging. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ElenaM  by design, MMS requires Data to be enabled to send and receive

However, no worry, while it needs to be turned on, it is not really using your limited data quota.  So, when you need to send and receive MMS, just enable data.  When you are done, turn it back off to converse data (in case other app stealing data on the background)

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Picture messaging does not use data. Your data was used by apps updating or by general web use. Disable your phone's ability to update over data and ensure you are on wifi to avoid using up data. Data does have to be turned on to send images, etc. and it works without having any data remaining in your plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.