cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive calls often

daattali
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been working PM for about 4 years and generally didn't have any complaints.

In the past month I've been told by several people that they called me and it went straight to voicemail and I never received any notification. This has happened in all the usual places I'm at: at home, on the road, when I'm out for a walk. I'm always able to place calls, and I do receive some calls, but for some reason many calls are not being received. I've seen someone try to call me and go straight to voicemail a few times and then a minute later it works.

This is frustrating me so much that if I don't resolve it I'll have to unfortunately leave PM because I essentially don't have incoming calls anymore 😞

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know how to fix this?

For reference, I'm usually in downtown Toronto or within 30 minutes of Toronto, and nobody else around me has these issues

9 REPLIES 9

@daattali wrote:

I didn't reply to anyone because all of these are very simplistic, it's like when someone says their computer isn't working and you ask them "did you make sure it's plugged in? Did you make sure your house has electricity?".  I was disappointed with the basic level of help offered and it made me want to just wait it out to see if the problem goes away.

Please realize that everyone in this message thread, including myself, are customers. Other than basic suggestions, there often isn't anything else that the members here can offer you. Other customers wouldn't be able to access your account or perform necessary maintenance to the network.

frankysplace

I think I have found a salutation to this issue for iPhone users in IOS 16 go to settings then select cellular, then select cellular data options, tap on voice and data and select 3G. This seems to have fixed the issue with receiving phone calls and all signal issues. Thanks for reading Frank. 

frankysplace

I have been getting this issue too. I also live in Toronto. Also lots of times I get one bar on my phone. Then when I reset the phone I get full bars for about 5 to 10 minutes then the signal strength goes down to one or two bars. Also to receive a call I need to reset the phone call my friend on my landline and then get them to call me within the 5 to 10 minute window that my phone has full bars. Lots of new condos going up around me. I notice my phone works better in other parts of Toronto then where I live which is the St. Larence Market area. 

daattali

I didn't reply to anyone because all of these are very simplistic, it's like when someone says their computer isn't working and you ask them "did you make sure it's plugged in? Did you make sure your house has electricity?".  I was disappointed with the basic level of help offered and it made me want to just wait it out to see if the problem goes away. But 6 months later it's still happening - in the past week I tried several times calling myself from different phones and I personally saw that about half the times the calls went straight to voicemail. 

This is happening rgardless of where I am, and I'm almost always in regular downtown Toronto locations where everyone has cell signal and I always had cell signal. I'm not on DND mode.... I've tried changing and resetting settings, of course my phone has been rebooted. People on my contact list are getting this issue as well. I also know it didn't happen to me when I was abroad for over a month and using a differen SIM card.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@daattali  - a couple more things to confirm...

1. can you make sure your phone setting is not on do not disturb (DND) accidentally?
  2. Also, in the settings of your calling app you can have it set up to only receive calls from people listed as a contact on your device. Do you happen to have this feature turned on without knowing it? If so, disable it. Or, add all those people to your contact list who you wish to receive calls from...otherwise they will be directed to voicemail.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@daattali  - i agree, not being able to receive calls on a regular basis in the larger city hub like Toronto is not acceptable. Are there upgrades being down on the network in your area, or is this a device, SIM or account issue?

Starting with some troubleshooting, try the below to rule out some issues:

• turn off your phone, then reboot
  • removing your SIM, then reinserting it
  • go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode
  • perform a reset network settings on your device
  • try your SIM card into another compatible phone for a few days to see if the issues are the same...this could rule out a device issue/setting.
  • manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) for dropping or unable to make incoming/outgoing calls

After performing the above, see if services improve.

If issues persist, submit a ticket to CSA for assistance. Maybe there are some backend processes they can do to refresh your account.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

daattali

I live downtown Toronto so there will always be some degree of people reporting outages. But it's not normal that for an entire month every single day I'm not receiving some calls. I was hoping to see if someone has experienced this or knows of a reason why this would happen.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@daattali 

As @JL9 pointed out there maybe an outage.

Check outage map:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Have there been outages in your area recently? If you go into your network and change to 3G (WCDMA/GSM) and you may have more success and not miss calls

Need Help? Let's chat.