cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US talk not working

Kootenaigirl1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am in the US (Montana) with a voice, text, data add on. Data and text work fine but no voice. 

I have tried changing from AT&T to T mobile, tried going from LTE to 3g (no 2g option) but nothing seems to work. Also tried switching it off and putting in airplane mode. I have an iphone 7 so no VoLTE. 
When I used my phone last summer in the States it worked fine. 
I see other people have this issue, does it mean that my phone is now too old to use in the States (due to 3G shut down) with a public mobile add on or are there any other possible solutions? Thanks. 
22 REPLIES 22

@Kootenaigirl1 

You can have it sent to a family member or friends in the USA.😉

Kootenaigirl1

That would be good but sounds like you need the SIM sent to a US address and you can’t track it?

@Kootenaigirl1 

I personally use the TextNow SIM while in the US for free calling and texting in 5G without the need of WiFi to work.

hi @Kootenaigirl1 

thanks for the update, is that the map you used?

https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#466

Kootenaigirl1

Just an update to this I found an old t mobile map that shows where they have 2G service and there is non at all in Montana. The places I have been to previously all show 2G coverage so that explains why my older phone worked previously.

Get TextNow or Fongo and call your own cell number from one of those apps. When you hear your own voicemail greeting press * and then enter your voicemail pin when prompted.

Interesting. I wonder if data-only roaming would let voicemail notifications through. You can check your voicemail with the voip app though.

Kootenaigirl1

Problem with that is I get voicemail messages and can’t check them. That was how I found out it wasn’t working this time as it did connect enough to say there was a voicemail but not enough to check it lol. 

Or next time just get the data and use the internet apps.

Kootenaigirl1

Thanks everyone, it sounds like it is just as I thought and that the iphone 7 is not really a viable option in the US now. I will just use my data for whatsapp and think about upgrading my phone before my next trip. 

@BKNS27 There's nothing support can tell them that we haven't already. It's a VoLTE issue. VoLTE at PM doesn't work on iPhone 7's. If OP can't find 2G T-Mobile coverage, there's nothing more to do. @CS_Agent could potentially offer a partial refund on the roaming add-on, but beyond that there is nothing more for them to troubleshoot.

@Kootenaigirl1 

Best to contact a CS_Agent to investigate for you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

Meanwhile, try using WhatsApp or TextNow app on wifi if you have these apps on your phone to make calls and texting.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Folks, there are a lot of questions being asked that were answered in this original post.

-They have no 2G option on their phone. Best they can hope for us an automatic connection to T-Mobile 2G

-They have power cycled their device

-Data roaming in on as data and text are working. There's no setting for cellular roaming.

Kootenaigirl1

No option for changing to 2G only LTE or 3G

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes this is a thing with recent OS updates, they removed the manual selection of 2G GSM. Then you have to rely on the auto switch down which may or may not work. I experienced that the last time I used roaming. One area it was able to switch but another I had to do it manually.

Great reading and trying on your part!

Kootenaigirl1

Yes cellular roaming enabled and it was fine last year in August for couple of weeks in the States in Oregon. 

@Kootenaigirl1 

This might be a dump question but is cellular roaming enabled? It probably is but doesn’t hurt to check.

hi @Kootenaigirl1 

did you try changing to 2G?

Kootenaigirl1

Yes, I have tried that several times. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Kootenaigirl1 

Did you try rebooting your phone by powering off then power back on?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

@Kootenaigirl1 Unfortunately because your phone is not compatible with VoLTE on PM, your options are limited. The only thing you can hope for is to find a 2G TMobile connection. Failing that, you will not be able to make phone calls. You'll need an iPhone 8 or newer to use VoLTE with PM.

As an alternative you can use a third party app such as TextNow or Fongo for free voip calling over wifi/data (with a new number).

Need Help? Let's chat.