cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming

KarthikM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would like to understand US add-on (15$ for 15 days) is still valid or not since comments at community saying that customers purchased US - add on but its not working when customer reached US. 

Please confirm US- add on is still valid or not before i purchase. 

11 REPLIES 11

@SailorJoe- Data and text will work fine. Verify whether volte is enabled on your phone. If so then everything will work fine. (even more so if you set your networks to 4G LTE)

@SailorJoe wrote:

Does it matter what plan you have in Canada? I have 3G do I need to upgrade? I don't have a need for faster download speed here just want to make sure will have coverage after I purchase the US roaming add on.

Nope...no requirement to upgrade your regular plan. As long as your regular plan is Active, the features included in the add-on will work while you're in America.

HI @SailorJoe 

for the voice call problem, get a VoIP app TextNow, pick a Canadian phone number

Then when you are on trip, setup unconditional forwarding to the TextNow number.  Then all calls go to the app TextNow, you will see it ring on the app, works on Wifi and Mobile data when you travel

SailorJoe

T-Mobile 5G plan works great while in the US but not so good when cross back over in my experience. You can buy an international plan at a reasonable price while in the US.....problem is you are assigned a US number and any time your Canadian friends want to call you it is long distance unless they have a plan where they can call US. Gets too complicated.

@SailorJoe will you be in US long or you go there once aomth at least?? if so, the $60 Camada-US plan is a great deal

SailorJoe

Perfect. I will give that a try. If it does not work then I can resort to what I have done in the past and buy a monthly T-Mobile plan while in the US. That ends up costing about $60 per month plus maintaining my local PM account because I don't want to lose my local number. I have resisted buying the roaming package in the past because of issues people have reported here. Thanks again!

@SailorJoe 

anyone with any plan can buy the US roaming add-on.  It's 15 days in length and it starts counting right at the moment the add-on purchase is completed

Generally, it works quite well with data and voice could be tricker as voice needs VoLTE or 2G 

A reminder, when you are in US, make sure you try to connect to T-Mobile and AT&T network. If it does not connect automatically, then change the Network connection to manual and select try  T-Mobile and AT&T manuall.  

If you roaming purchase includes data, make sure you enable Roaming Mobile Data on your phone.  Change network mode to 4G/LTE  

If your roaming purchase includes voice, enable VoLTE on your device and you might be able to use VoLTE for voice.  But if not, your phone should change to 2G network on T-Mobile ONLY and test voice calls 

SailorJoe

Does it matter what plan you have in Canada? I have 3G do I need to upgrade? I don't have a need for faster download speed here just want to make sure will have coverage after I purchase the US roaming add on.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@KarthikM 

I can confirm that the 15 Day US Roaming add-on options are still available. Your 15 days start as soon as you successfully purchase, so get it just as you're leaving. I've also bought the add-on using wifi at Walmart in US.

For best talk experience, make sure you have a volte enabled phone and PM has chosen to turn it on for you as there's a limited number of phones that they have turned volte on. Roaming data and text should work regardless, if you have them also.

Here's some reading for you regarding volte...scroll to bottom of the page to see a list of volte phones.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/volte

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The add-ons are still valid. Data and real sms texting will work fine. Talk prefers volte having been enabled on the phone by Public. If no volte then only T-Mobile and their 2G GSM will work for talk.

Need Help? Let's chat.