cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US data roaming not working

MsColere
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an active up to date plan which I added US data roaming (250mb) to back in mid Feb and it worked just fine for my few days in Atlanta. I flew to Japan for 10 days (installed a Mobal sim to have data over there and it worked fine) and now have returned to  the US/Atlanta for a few days again before returning back home to Canada. I purchased another 15 daya of data-1gb as my previous add on timed out. My US data 1gb add on shows on my account but it will not work. I am relying on wifi as I am here. The connectionon my phone shows T-mobil. Ive tried switching carriers under the under nerwork selection - does nothing, Ive tried switching off and on my cellular roaming- does nothing. The add on shows zero usage because it just wont connect. Ive shut my phone off and on a few times with no success. Any suggestions? 

17 REPLIES 17

cgazzard

I had the same issues. I found that I had to switch my voice and data options to LTE. Settings - cellular - cellular data options - voice and data. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@MsColere - I am not sure if you are still showing your first Roaming addon in your account, are you?

If so, buying back to back of the same type of roaming addon before the full 360 hours (15 days) + 12-24 hours after (this is the silly part) is what needs to be done.

If you are in this boat, you may need CSA to help you sort that out.

­­­Public Mobile Representatives customer support­­­ agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Or, try buying a different type/bucket of Roaming addon to get your service up and running, then connect with CSA after to adjust anything on your account if needed.

@MsColere   happy you found that and you are back online  🙂

MsColere

Thx 🙏 - this did the trick!!!

MsColere

Hi all! Thx for your help. While searching around on my phone, I found the download the Mobal- Japan sim had me do (under the VPN & device management tab) and uninstalled it, then shut my phone off and back on again… and it naturally reset my phone back to normal (I believe) as the roaming data is now working on my phone here in the US! Yahhh! Fingers crossed I will be fine too once I return back home to Canada. Thanks again!

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@MsColere 

With your iPhone click on the link below and follow the instructions on the screen.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

@MsColere 

Try:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

and update carrier profile , you should see Public Mobile profile there:

Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier

Delete VPN profiles:

1. Go to Settings and tap General.
  2. Tap VPN and Device Management.
  3. Tap VPN.
  4. Tap the 'i' icon next to the VPN you want to delete.
  5. Tap Delete VPN.

MsColere

Iphone 13 max pro

@MsColere   what kind of phone do you have?

treefrog

@MsColere 

You don't need to uninstall it you just need to update your carrier profile this is normal when you change providers.

MsColere

Id love to uninstall it, but I cannot find it anywhere on my phone.

@MsColere wrote:

I’ve thought the Mobal- Japan sim did something because I have to download something

Uninstall whatever you downloaded and installed to your phone!!!

Changing APN settings on an iPhone click HERE.

treefrog

@MsColere 

If you cannot connect to iTunes to update your carrier profile back to public mobile use the links in the following thread and you can update your carrier profile back to public mobile using Wi-Fi and the links in this thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Fix-for-iOS-15-4-19E5209h-Data-issue-Reso...

MsColere

I’ve thought the Mobal- Japan sim did something because I have to download something to get it to work (dunno what ot was exactly, just followed the instructions and it did put “something” on

my phone). How do i reset the APN and how do I know what my original settings were - I never took a screen shot to reference as Ive never had this problem before, nor have I ever had to download something to get a sim to work like I did woth my Japan sim)?

MsColere

how would I go about doing that on an Iphone?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MsColere    make sure any VPN connection is disabled or deleted.  You have flied to Japan and there could be some VPN added from the Mobal sim

Also, try to reset your networks and see if it helps

treefrog

@MsColere 

Try rebooting your phone first. Then check your APN settings. The SIM card in Japan may have changed your original public mobile settings for your APN. Do you have an Android phone or an iPhone?

Need Help? Let's chat.