cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US calls not working

jmfitzgi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Since switching from Koodo to Public Mobile in June, I haven't been able to make phone calls to US numbers. When I browse under Add-Ons in "The Fine Print" it says:

• 3. Unlimited Canada-wide minutes include calls made and completed within Canada. Roaming applies outside of Canada. Long distance rates apply to calls made from Canada to outside Canada.

I assumed that this meant I'd simply be charged extra for US calls on my next bill, but Public is actually just blocking my calls altogether; I'm guessing this is because I haven't purchased a US minutes add-on?

Also on this page it says that "Data add-ons expire after 30 days", but I don't see anything about whether minutes expire. Do they? If I purchase a US minutes add-on, and I don't use it all, will my unused minutes roll-over into my next cycle?

6 REPLIES 6

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @jmfitzgi 

I'm going to add one more to this. If you now plan on purchasing a US add on due to the advice you've been given here, hold off on it just for a few weeks. Not sure how long you've been with PM but every Christmas PM gives out Christmas gifts. Most often 400-500 International minutes which can be used calling to the US. Not sure how much US calling you're going to make but the 400-500 minutes if given, may cover you for a very long time. 🙂

Grand_Total
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

A number of other people have already covered the fact that you need to buy an add-on for calls to the US. I'd like to mention that if you happen to have 10 rewards points you could use them to buy the same 1000 US minute add-on, a better value than spending $15 on the same add-on.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@jmfitzgi 

If you didn’t subscribe to a Canada/USA plan then you will need to purchase an LD calling add-on for $15 for 1000 minutes and unused minutes will roll-over to the following month. But if you purchase data will expire after 30 days.

Depending on how much data you use and how many times you call USA within Canada or USA. You might want to consider the Canada/USA plan.

Your other option is to use WhatsApp or TextNow app for free calling and texting over wifi.

@jmfitzgi wrote:

Since switching from Koodo to Public Mobile in June, I haven't been able to make phone calls to US numbers. When I browse under Add-Ons in "The Fine Print" it says:

• 3. Unlimited Canada-wide minutes include calls made and completed within Canada. Roaming applies outside of Canada. Long distance rates apply to calls made from Canada to outside Canada.

I assumed that this meant I'd simply be charged extra for US calls on my next bill, but Public is actually just blocking my calls altogether; I'm guessing this is because I haven't purchased a US minutes add-on?

Also on this page it says that "Data add-ons expire after 30 days", but I don't see anything about whether minutes expire. Do they? If I purchase a US minutes add-on, and I don't use it all, will my unused minutes roll-over into my next cycle?

The Public Mobile website says that "any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle." when it comes to long distance add-ons.  If you wish to make the calls from Canada to the U.S., make sure that the proper long distance add-on is purchased.  Long distance add-ons can only be used while you're in Canada, while roaming add-ons can only be used while you're in the U.S.

HI @jmfitzgi 

this one you should buy

1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 , this allows you to call to  all 50 states, plus Pureto Rico and the US Virgin Islands

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @jmfitzgi 

calling US is not free, you need to buy the US long distance option.  (not the roaming one you mentioned, but the US Long distance)

Need Help? Let's chat.