cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming - poor connection

FrankMicalizzi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the US roaming add on for both voice and data. I have 5 of 10 days left. I am in Huntersville NC - just north of Charlotte NC. The quality of the voice connection is poor - "gargled". I have had phone set on Auto Connect and I have tried manual connect to AT&T (no connection) and T-Mobile with the same gargled connection.

I am at my son's house and he has no quality issues with his connection - but they have local phone and plans. I have a Samsung S20Fe and my wife has the same issue with her iPhone. Both of us are with Public Mobile and both have 5 of 10 days left. Up to now we have relied on the Wi-Fi connection at the house and the Public Mobile US roaming has been useless.  Any suggestions ?

8 REPLIES 8

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JL9 wrote:

This is happening for most these days. I wish PM would either get with the times or pull US add ons altogther bc it is rare for people to have no issues these days with it and then it is a hassle trying to get a credit, especially since they state pretty clearly they are not responsible for the service issues and warn customers that the 3G shutdown may in fact cause issues. I would just use the wifi and try to request a refund when you get back and if you ever go to the US again either yes a local/US option or voip apps for your needs .

I have been complaining about this for so long and it's sad to see so many US roaming threads each and every week with the same issues.   Telus/PM has known about the shutdown and we have had discussions about this well over a year ago, yet here we are...

I agree with you @JL9 that the US roaming options should be pulled until things actually work.  Perhaps just keep the US mobile data add-on's which seems to work fine.  My recommendation for US roaming continues to be via a 3rd party SIM either purchased in advance or after arriving southside.

I believe that Telus would rather have you on their more expensive Koodo postpaid or Telus retail tiers so they can make the $$ selling seamless roaming.    

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@FrankMicalizzi 

Here is some additional info about US Roaming....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

There appears to be decent 2G network coverage in North Carolina just not a great connection in your location. Try toggling airplane mode on/off to see if that gives you a better connection to the 2G network. As suggested use a voip provider app for calling on wifi or mobile data. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@FrankMicalizzi 

purchase the 1gb data add-on and use a free VoIP app like textnow. you are able to choose a Canadian number to call and text for free over a data connection. then forward the calls to the textnow number. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

This is happening for most these days. I wish PM would either get with the times or pull US add ons altogther bc it is rare for people to have no issues these days with it and then it is a hassle trying to get a credit, especially since they state pretty clearly they are not responsible for the service issues and warn customers that the 3G shutdown may in fact cause issues. I would just use the wifi and try to request a refund when you get back and if you ever go to the US again either yes a local/US option or voip apps for your needs .

FrankMicalizzi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will not connect to Verizon.  My son uses Verizon and has good connection. So no Verizon for Public Mobile -

and no AT&T - looks like its only T-Mobile.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

US roaming add-on verge on useless currently.

• Request a credit when you return
  • Get a local prepaid data SIM and a Fongo account to call Canada. You could even forward your PM number to Fongo and get any voicemail emailed to you.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Just use the manual method of connecting to T-Mobile to make sure it has the best chance for voice. But even their 2G coverage would have some limitations.

Is the data working alright? It should. But yes voice is very problematic.

You have provided continuing evidence that AT&T is no longer working for us. Thanks.

For fun you could try Verizon to add to the evidence of not working. Please report back your findings if you do try it.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @FrankMicalizzi , is the poor quality with Voice only or Data as well??

TMOBILE uses 2G for voice as PM does not have VoLTE, so the poor quality is "normal".  But LTE data should be ok

Need Help? Let's chat.