cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming and reliability

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Hey everyone!

So I am asking for a friend who might be interested in switching to Public Mobile as the prices are attractive. But his only concern is the reliability. 

Can anyone speak to the reliability of Public Mobile in the USA? Are there many dropped calls? 

I am not sure who he is with right now, I believe he is with one of the big three (Rogers, Bell or Telus) 

Does anyone have experience with this? 

Any and all suggestions would be helpful for me to communicate with him. 

Thanks in advance! 

12 REPLIES 12

omegaman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No issues from when I used it.  Good luck 😀

@Naepalm wrote:

Are there international packages as well? 

This winter, we used TextNow to keep in contact with family and friends in Canada and US. TextNow works good, it's free...but you need a wifi signal. We found there's free wifi in most resorts, restaurants and even at Walmart there's free wifi.

@Naepalm  no, currently PM only offers US roaming add ons.

Are there international packages as well? 

@Naepalm  the $50 hybrid plan only works for calls originating from within Canada. You would still need a 10 day roaming addon to call from the US.

Add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free.

Us roaming add-on are valid for 10 days from purchase.  Here is more info.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

I'll ask him how often he travels there. He lives in Canada and owns a bunch of properties in the USA. What does the 50.00 US/CAN plan do for you? just texting and calling? 

Does the $50.00 US/CAN plan work for unlimited calls??

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The US roaming service is solid, no different than with any of the Telus brands.  The deficiency here is the lack of roaming options; only 10 day plans are available.  I have several friends who jumped on the $60 US/CAN plan which provide unlimited roaming in the US.  Too bad that plan is not made available as a regular offering.  

@Naepalm  heres an article on US roaming add ons https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

there are 2 bugs associated with the add ons you have to wait 24 hours to repurchase the same addon and you can't buy 2 voice add ons at the same time, if done, all calls are dropped.

Also calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Naepalm ,I have never had any issue with the US roaming add-on.  How often does your friend travel down to the States and for how long.  As the US roaming add-ons are only 10 duration of they are down for months at a time it could get costly

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm Hi Yes the US roaming Add-ons are pretty good when you get down there usually connect with AT&T or T mobile They are ten day roaming  packages and they start from the moment you add on

Need Help? Let's chat.