cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Question

DanM1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased the $20 US Roaming Talk/Text/Data plan for my mother who will be traveling to the US alone. The plan shows as active in My Account 

Question: When she lands, will the phone automatically connect to the US network or does she have to send a text to activate the roaming option like other post paid Canadian providers?

My mother is not tech savvy so want to make sure I write down all the instructions beforehand. Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

FYI - Some have reported issues with texting when they return back to Canada after a US roaming trip. There is little information on this and it may have been resolved. If she encounters this, it fixes itself with in a day but a note to the mods also fixes it.   

GreatCanadian

Just an FYI i case you have some worries!! On 2 recent trips to the US, the US roaming options worked perfectly. Upon landing in the US, turned on the phone, and bingo, data, talk and text working perfectly. Upon returning to Canada, same thing. This was on both iPhone and Android. Just make sure that Data Roaming is turned on on your phone as was previously mentioned above. 

GC

jp2

@sravya wrote:

Please ask your mother to keep in roaming.

As @sravya@  says above it's very important that data roaming is enabled. Some phones will have this disabled because if you are with a postpaid provider data roaming can be extremely expensive

meocon

@DanM1 Your mother doesn’t need to do anything just turn off the phone on flight & turn it on again when she arrives in US network will connect automatic to US network

sravya

Please ask your mother to keep in roaming.Sometimes it depends on the options you have on the phone.Mostly all the phones will take the network automatically

For my Iphone it connects automatically.

pcmmm

I used U.S package once last year, just purchased adds on, that's all, It will automatically connect to the US network. No need to do anything for the activation. 

Need Help? Let's chat.