cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Coverage with 4G

altoning
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Now that Public Mobile offers 4G. Does the following 3G coverage (from Terms & Conditions) also apply to 4G?

Important: As of February 22nd, 2022, United States (U.S.) carriers have started turning down certain 3G/HSPA networks. As a result, customers using U.S. roaming add-ons will be impacted by differences in coverage or service quality (including 9-1-1 calls) when roaming in the U.S. Customers may also experience changes to services such as welcome messages, voicemail notifications, usage notifications for voice, notifications when trying to make an international call, interactive voice responses (IVR), as well as the ability to set up voicemail while in the U.S. This shutdown will not impact your service in Canada.

4 REPLIES 4

@altoning   No worry, on the 3G plan, we are in fact using 4G/LTE network too, just with reduced speed to 3Mpbs. 

so, data roaming in US will be be affected by the 3G shutdown.  You can still connect to T-Mobile or AT&T and can use the LTE network without problem

If you need voice, use a VoIP app, like TextNow, as a backup

altoning
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Amazing. I was more worried about losing data coverage with US Roaming with my 3G plan.

Phew! ... that's nothing to worry about ... even if I stay on my 3G plan.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@altoning   The 4G plan is about PM offering true 4G/LTE speed

Regardless of the 3G or 4G plan you got, PM still using 3G for voice  in Canada and in US .  That is the problem with US roaming with Voice.  

So, short answer is, we still have 3G problem with voice in US.  Data is ok in US but voice could be an issue.  However, people can try to use T-Mobile 2G network for voice for now

Need Help? Let's chat.