cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Long Distance Restrictions?

Ruok2bu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm looking at the "200 min US and Canada Long Distance" addon.  In the fine print at bottom i dont understand what "will not be completed when dialed" means. Does this mean calls to any of those area codes will just fail or i'll be charged high rates to call that number despite getting the US long distance addon?

If that is the case, then is there any way for me to call numbers in area codes that are blocked?

6 REPLIES 6

@kb_mv wrote:

@Ruok2bu Your call will not go through and you won't be charged. I am not aware of any work around.

Here is why: https://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/12-dangerous-area-codes-you-never-want-to-dial/

@kb_mv thank you for the link.. it's very informative 👍

NOTE: Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialed: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726, 530-881. From what I have found, there are extra charges to dial these area codes and a number of Telcos either don’t allow calls to them or add hefty surcharges. Public Mobile has elected to not allow calls to these area codes listed.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Ruok2bu it means that any calls to these will not be completed. Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Ruok2bu wrote:

I'm looking at the "200 min US and Canada Long Distance" addon.  In the fine print at bottom i dont understand what "will not be completed when dialed" means. Does this mean calls to any of those area codes will just fail or i'll be charged high rates to call that number despite getting the US long distance addon?

If that is the case, then is there any way for me to call numbers in area codes that are blocked?

Try calling them using TextNow. It's a free voip app with free calls to Canada and US  as well as free texting. As long as you have a wifi signal, TextNow works great. I'm sure there's other voip apps but I've been using TextNow and am happy with it.

EDIT...I just tried one of those numbers using TextNow....call rejected !

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Buy the international instead.  Some are codes in USA are blocked. Any work around would be by using an app or other Telco. 

Suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan. Both my wife and I are low users of our $15 mobile plans but the one time cost of $25 makes our plans as good as any. And of course, once set up, one will have to manage these add-ons to keep the “GOOD COMBINATION” in place and maintenance cost should be minimal.

The add-on combinations below do NOT expire until minutes are used up.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total                   **The lesser value of the group

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on. The $15 add-on has INTERNATIONAL, USA and Canada  so, in a way, the $8 add-on is pointless to buy for USA only calls.

Note 1: The add ons above I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used. The unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.

In certain conditions DATA can be very helpful and now the add on 1GB Data that does not expire until used up, has been permanently reduced to $15 (originally $30)

If you have the option to call 2 different numbers choose the 800 number, those 800 number calls do NOT deduct from your allotted outbound minutes.

Note 2: Rewards programs and freebies.

Keep in mind the value of “Rewards that’ll lower your bill”.

Freebies that may be offered as in pre Christmas 2019 for 1GB of Data and 400 International Long Distance minutes. And August 2020 some of us were offered 5GB if add on Data while others were offered 1GB of add on Data AND 1000 minutes of Canada wide calling. They treat us very well.

Note 3: Other ways to save money.

Use Wi-Fi  Zoom, FaceTime Video or Audio only, iMessage or a phone APP.

Use Wi-Fi based APP for outbound calls “if” it will allow you to use your PM number as the caller ID. Google Hangouts apparently does. Cost is free.

Zoiper used with VoIP.ms works too over Wifi but does cost your “outbound” VoIP.ms price per minute. And you can set up the caller ID as either your VoIP or PM number.

Forward your home or business calls to you PM phone number.

Copyright 2020

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Ruok2bu Your call will not go through and you won't be charged. I am not aware of any work around.

Here is why: https://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/12-dangerous-area-codes-you-never-want-to-dial/

Need Help? Let's chat.