cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Coverage experience = 3G non existent as of April 2023 - refund? should upgrade to ?

JonLenton
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi - when I checked the 3G coverage maps, it shows very solid coverage for California. So I bought a 15 day plan for myself and my wife at $30 each.

While there, we had essentially no phone capability, no internet capability and limited texting. We did not feel covered for emergencies and for checking in with our motels/hotels. 

Yes, Public Mobile did say coverage for 3G is being turned down. But the maps posted on this site must be out of date which is misleading. I believe we should get a refund and a commitment to stop offering the 3G US Coverage to others.

I could not figure out what happens if I upgrade in Canada to 4G then add US coverage. I would like to know if that is a real solution for future trips. 

Sincerely, Jon

13 REPLIES 13

You don't need to upgrade to "4G". If you would like some faster data speed and more data then sure. But it's not needed for volte. The so-called "3G" is a slower speed and maybe less data. They both run on LTE 4G.

So is the Public sim in sim slot 2?

Also (if like my Samsung) go down into settings, about phone, status information, sim card status and look for mention of IMS and whether it's registered.

Adding - and only check the Public sim.

Also go to settings, connections, mobile networks, network operators and see if the select automatically is toggled on.

JonLenton

I have checked and VoLTE is turned on and was on when in the USA. 

JonLenton

I have a Galaxy A22. Model SM-A225FZKGKSA

JonLenton

I checked and can see my phone says = VoLTE calls SIM2 is on. "use LTE data networks for calls whenever possible".

I am not connecting the dots that this means I can upgrade to 4G as well. 

But not really. The roaming partner allowed us to roam on their old 2G network. But then maybe your phone can't do 2G. What make and model phone are you using?

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JonLenton wrote:

If it was truly completely decommissioned then PM should not offer the US Coverage Add On. 

Can you tell me if I upgrade to 4G coverage in Canada do I get a US 4G add on offering?

3G and 4G on PM is just for marketing to different segments....both are using the same LTE network.  they are simply throttled to different speeds up to 3Mbps and up to 100Mbps respectively.  You don't need a "4G" plan for roaming to work.  For proper US roaming coverage what you need is an account provisioned with VoLTE and a phone that supports VoLTE 

JonLenton

If it was truly completely decommissioned then PM should not offer the US Coverage Add On. 

Can you tell me if I upgrade to 4G coverage in Canada do I get a US 4G add on offering?

JonLenton

I have opened a ticket. 

I hope someone can answer what happens when if you upgrade to 4G in Canada first then choose a US Coverage Add on

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@JonLenton You don't need to upgrade to 4G plan. I have 3G plan but my phone is support VoLTE, so I bought $30 US add on when I was in the State, the phone automatically connected to T Mobile, and settings on phone automatically set to VoLTE. 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@JonLenton 

The 3G network in the US has been completely decommissioned since July 1st 2022. It appears AT&T was dropped as a roaming partner at about the same time leaving T-Mobile as the sole roaming partner for pm customers. Texting and mobile data while roaming is unaffected as they use the 4G LTE network. Only voice services were impacted relying on T-Mobile's 2G network which is more extensive in the eastern US than in the west where coverage is mainly in larger urban centre's. California coverage is very location dependent.

Edit:

Oops! Hit post by mistake..... Depending on your device (iPhone 12>>Google pixel 5>>and others) there is the added issue of the ability to manually select the 2G network and the device will not drop to 2G for calls if the 5G network is present.

With public mobile gradually rolling out VoLTE to its customers (February 22nd) over the next few months while trying to keep glitches to a minimum the lack of the 3G network in the US will soon be a distant memory. Those traveling to the US with VoLTE not yet provisioned in their accounts can contact customer support and ask if pm will manually provision it ahead of the scheduled account upgrade so that US Roaming voice services work as well mobile data and texting.

It's important to remember that no US provider has 100% network coverage. There will always be areas with poor or no coverage (mainly rural or with low population density). There is no T-Mobile coverage in Alaska at all as their customers roam on CGI's network in the state. US network coverage by provider:

1. Verizon - 70%
  2. AT&T - 68%
  3. T-Mobile - 62%

The following post and update post will give you more info on public mobile's US Roaming add ons as well as the run down on the 2G network and links to cell mappers detailed network and cell tower info maps that are a wealth of info to pre-planning your US travel.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@JonLenton 

Sorry to hear about your troubles. 

Interestingly, only your VOICE should have been affected by the 3G network decommissioning in the USA.  Data and text should have worked fine since PM customers are still able to access LTE network.  

The issue with US roaming is talk, since before the roll out of VoLTE, PM talk needed to use 3G network.  With USA roaming, PM customers used the T mobile 2G network which is unreliable.  

Once VoLTE is fully rolled out for all customers, then the US roaming experience would be better

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

If you were still in the USA, the community members might have been able to help troubleshoot your issues.  

With your poor experience, you could contact customer service agent to ask for refund. No guarantees, but usually CSA are accommodating for the request. 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@JonLenton Try manually connect to T Mobile, and turn on cellular data and roaming. Set your phone to LTE or VoLTE if you can.

Try reboot your phone.

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JonLenton Submit a ticket and request a refund.  Although data should work fine on LTE south of the border.  The issue is with voice coverage and the 3G networks having been decommissioned.  This leaves only legacy 2G voice with TMobile which is likely to be hit and miss.

Telus/PM is currently rolling out VoLTE in Canada and this is required in order to have full voice coverage in the US.  This process is happening gradually over the coming months.

Best and most reliable solution for the US is to acquire and use a prepaid US SIM.  Many of which can be ordered online in advance or you get pickup once there.

Need Help? Let's chat.