cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Txt needs data enabled?

Jazz68
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, not sure what has changed, but now i either need a WiFi connection or have Data enabled to receive txts.

What has changed??

If I disable data, which I normally have off, and am out of range for wifi, I can not receive txts or get notified of txts.

If I enable data or connect to wifi the txts show up.

I know you need it for MMS, but regular txts?

10 REPLIES 10

Jazz68

All I know is that if I have data and wifi off, I do not get txts or txt notifications. I need 1 of them connected.

As I have already said, android devices are all RCS capable and it's likely the default format for text messaging.  This requires data.  Only SMS doesn't require data.  I would suggest not turning RCS off.  You lose a lot of text functionality.  The fact that you are not receiving text and notification when data is turned off  indicate that your contacts are using RCS.  

@Jazz68 wrote:

I am not sure if Google message.

I think Samsung Galaxy Messaging.

It is ver. 15.1.20.27

I do not find this setting.

I don't see the app as the true determining factor.  @will13am mentioned SMS and how SMS never requires data and how any other type of message does require some type of internet connection. Both of those aspects remain true no matter which app is being used.

Jazz68

I am not sure if Google message.

I think Samsung Galaxy Messaging.

It is ver. 15.1.20.27

I do not find this setting.

@Jazz68 Go to the message app. If it is using Google Message, it will show G Message on top. To the right, there is your Avatar. Click on it, select Message Settings , then RCS Chat and you can turn on and off

Jazz68

This sounds like it may be it.

I am on Android, samsung. Up to date with latest ver..

Where do I find this setting?

I searched for RCS, with no luck as well as Rich Communication Service.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Legacy text (SMS) requires a mobile connection only, mobile data can be turned off.  If you are running an android device, it's likely your legacy text has been replaced with RCS (Rich Communication Service) which is a data (mobile or Wi-Fi) based communication protocol.  It's alleged that at year end iOS will incorporate RCS. 

szu

@Jazz68 

Which model phone are you using?  Android versus Apple.  

If Android, check if you turned on RCS Messaging.  RCS Messaging requires data or Wifi. 

If iPhone, iMessage also needs data or Wifi.  

Regular SMS texts should not require either data or Wifi. 

Jazz68

I am aware it is needed for MMS, as stated in question.

What has changed that I now need it(data or wifi) for regular txt??

I do not even get notification of txt without some type of connection.

Phone works, no txt?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

@Jazz68 wrote:

Hi, not sure what has changed, but now i either need a WiFi connection or have Data enabled to receive txts.

What has changed??

If I disable data, which I normally have off, and am out of range for wifi, I can not receive txts or get notified of txts.

If I enable data or connect to wifi the txts show up.

I know you need it for MMS, but regular txts?

Hello @Jazz68 

To receive text messages, no. To receive MMS, yes. To receive iMessages, yes.

Need Help? Let's chat.