cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two-Factor Authentication

nhoa974
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What happens when you try to activate a new phone but the two-factor authentication is a phone number that you don't have access to? 

10 REPLIES 10

John_G1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

the problem with that is when the email address will not open without asking for 2FA that is tied to another phone that does not work.  In my case, I am trying to help some refugees just arrived from Afghanistan.  They have gmail accounts linked (for 2FA purposes) to phone numbers that do not work in Canada.

So far as I can tell by pushing the alternatives offered by Google, they may have to give up their existing Google accounts because they can't access them by any means, and lose all the data, pics etc in them. (I will look at the link above in this thread about 2FA and Apple accounts, just in case...) That means losing the gmail accounts that all their friends and family at home have for them... so not good.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I think this is more iPhone question than Public Mobile if I understand this correctly. OP is trying to set up new iPhone with apple ID and doesn't have phone number used for 2FA to get in. Many people enable 2FA and use SMS as the only way to authenticate which is so risky. Never, but never do that unless that's your only option and I cannot think of many services that you must use only SMS. First use some OTP app authentication (I personally use 2FAS but there are many options there) that has option to export secret code, then backup that code in case you lose your phone. Otherwise, if all is in phone and you lose it (or breaks down, or gets stollen), then you don't have a way to get in (or at least not get in quickly). SMS  could be OK as backup but I do try to stay away of that in case my SIM gets hijacked.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@nhoa974 wrote:

What happens when you try to activate a new phone but the two-factor authentication is a phone number that you don't have access to? 

You don't need activate a new phone, you just put the sim card into the new phone. The phone number is stick with your sim card, so why you cannot access to? What message did you get actually? 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@nhoa974 

The 2FA code is linked to the number registered on the SIM.

By the sounds of it when you the phone is asking for the security code to unlock your phone and not the 2FA code.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @nhoa974 

can you explain what you meant by you try to activate a new phone but the 2FA is a phone number you don't have access??   

what are you trying to activate?   A new PM account?? what phone you try to activate?

pmva
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@nhoa974  Check this article for 2FA and Apple devices.  At the end of the article is an account recovery link that you might need if you only have the 1 Apple device and you can't receive the 2FA code.  It may take a few days to work through their system to recover the account.

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support (CA)

pmva

Do you have any other Apple devices?  You should be able to use another device that is signed in with that same AppleID.  Or do you just have the iPhone?

nhoa974
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

2FA shows up when I try to input my Apple ID. It was an old phone number that is supposed to FA it. I'm not sure how to get past 2FA after inserting a new SIM.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@nhoa974 

Contact the provider sending the 2FA and update them with the new/different phone number in which to send future 2FA requests.

pmva

@nhoa974  You shouldn't need 2FA to activate a new number.  Are you talking about 2FA for your PM account?  If so, just direct 2FA to your email address.

Need Help? Let's chat.