cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translink shortcode 33333 is not working

mortarheadd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can text Translink 33333 for bus schedule.  It is supported by Public Mobile based on the list.  Somehow it is not working for me now.  I tried other shortcodes and they are working.  Any idea/help?

25 REPLIES 25

I spent 50¢ in tests of this issue, and I see a $1 credit for "System issue/ Problème du système" in my account today. Seems they round up to the next dollar.

mortarheadd

I just tried it and it works.  So, I think this issue is fixed now.  Moreover, $2 is given to my account from "System Issue".

imayuk

I submitted a ticket to mods regarding this issue over the weekend, am yet to hear back from them. Then this morning I thought I'd try my luck and see if anything got fixed and magically 33333 is working now. I got bus schedule reply. Don't know who did what and how but thanks!

@imayuk for whatever reason pm is charging customers to text this number now. you need "available funds" in your account for the texts to work.

I suggest speaking to customer support mods

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

Moderators are available from
- Monday to Friday: 8AM- midnight EST
- Saturday and Sunday: 8AM- 10PM EST

imayuk

I too am having the same issue. My friend on other service (freedom) have no problem receiving their messages but for me it has stopped working since Nov 26/27. I text to 33333 daily and I'm really hoping pm is not going to start charging for this service because this might be the deal breaker for me. Any idea when pm will resolve this issue? Or is there anything we can do to expedite the process? (ie. contact mod directly? Create a ticket?)

Thank you @mortarheadd and @brianqiyan for posting the problem  

This from the fine print on the PM plans page right now: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/sk/plans

"Includes text and picture messaging. Premium and subscription-based messaging, to and from non-Canadian numbers, are not included."

This previously meant stuff not included just wouldn't work, if the text hasn't changed recently. What's killer is that 2 of my test messages which were "STOP" were also charged. 😐

@ShawnC13 

The 10 cents gets deducted directly from the remaining account balance. I confirmed my account balance dropped by 40 cents for sending 4 texts to 33333 and 560560. If you don't carry a balance on your account, sending to these shortcodes will not work - which will be the case for anyone relying solely on autopay for their payments...

The charge shows on the usage history, but not on the transaction history which will definitely lead to confusion if this is going to be a permanent change...

Indeed one could argue that it is still "prepaid" in the sense you have to pre-pay to an account balance, but up until now you also had to conciously purchase plans or add ons to enable usage of featues, and there were never per-use charges that came directly from your account balance...

@Nezgar wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@mortarheadd wrote:

I confirmed it is the case.  Some short codes are charging $0.1 per message.  If you have zero balance, they will not work.

There are no pay-per-use charges at Public Mobile.

Apparently there are 10 cent charges now - my tests to 33333 and 560560 cost me 10 cents each,

Note: this issue is also being discussed in this other thread, and Mods have already been notified, as it seems to go against the plan descriptions of unlimited free texts. Exceptions were not previously stated.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Short-code-560560/m-p/624372/highl...

Premium-Text-PM.png

@Catherine_T, can you look into this, please.  How are these charges being placed after use?  As a prepaid service, this should not happen.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Nezgar, keep us updated ad I am not sure how PM can bill for this after as it is a prepaid service. Do those $0.10 charges show in your amount owing on your next bill?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Interestingly there's a topic on Reddit from 3 years ago regarding 10 cent charges to 33333 and 560560 to other carriers like wind/freedom:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobile/comments/6op1hk/next_bus_sms_to_translink_being_charged/

Now classifying them as a "premium shortcode" instead of a "standard shortcode"

Fido apparently charged 20 cents in 2011:

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Community-Archives/translink-code-33333/td-p/13273

Hopefully this isn't a sign of a permanent change to things at Public Mobile...

@Nezgar 

This is very interesting

Would you mind keeping us updated on their response and final resolution.

You should not be charged, something is off.

Thanks in advance

@computergeek541 wrote:

@mortarheadd wrote:

I confirmed it is the case.  Some short codes are charging $0.1 per message.  If you have zero balance, they will not work.

Apparently there are 10 cent charges now - my tests to 33333 and 560560 cost me 10 cents each,

Note: this issue is also being discussed in this other thread, and Mods have already been notified, as it seems to go against the plan descriptions of unlimited free texts. Exceptions were not previously stated.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Short-code-560560/m-p/624372/highl...

Premium-Text-PM.png

@mortarheadd wrote:

After saw the post from brianqiyan "It is actually working, but it will charge $0.1 per message".

mortarheadd

After saw the post from brianqiyan "It is actually working, but it will charge $0.1 per message".

danreyan

I tried tonight and it is working for me. Public Mobile does not prompt (like if you approve them to send the message because the message will require some fees), as compared to the other service providers that I have been like Fido and Virgin Mobile, it will send me a prompt and I have yet to give it a yes until the message is sent to 33333 and gives me my needed information. But for PM the message is sent right away. Which type is your plan anyways. I think all plans have unlimited texts so it does not really matter. I would try turning on and off my phone to restart it, most likely it will help with issues like this. It happened to me once before but with another provider.

brianqiyan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It is actually working, but it will charge $0.1 per message. It won't work until you balance is running out. I know it should have free of charge. I had $1 additional credit in my account, but it has gone until I sent 10 messages to short code like Translink and etc. I sent a private message to PM moderator yesterday but I haven't receive any response yet. Hope the issue could get solved asap. 

mortarheadd

Which city you are in and tried?  Vancouver, Burnaby, NW, etc?

Seems oddly related to a similar issue someone reported yesterday with 560560 for Ottawa transit:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Short-code-560560/m-p/623154#M1256...

(Again working for me & others, but not this one person...) FWIW I sent a "HELP" msg just now to 33333 from my PM line and got a reply...

marcylimon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same problem. If someone give you a solution I will also need to know

mortarheadd

mortarheadd

Area code: 604

It works for my friends with Fido and Freedom.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@mortarheadd wrote:

You can text Translink 33333 for bus schedule.  It is supported by Public Mobile based on the list.  Somehow it is not working for me now.  I tried other shortcodes and they are working.  Any idea/help?

It is supported.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi...

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@mortarheadd , I believe Translink is doing a server maintenance update as some of the pages for bus schedules are down. such as the Trip Planning

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@mortarheadd Where are you located and what is your area code (maybe it is new)? I check here in BC, and it is working for me.

Need Help? Let's chat.