cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer voip number to public mobile

rampantdragaon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What is the process to transfer a number I have with voip service to public mobile?

len

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the udpate, @rampantdragaon.  Yes unfortunately porting from a home phone or from a VoIP provider can take up to a week to process.  This isn't a PM issue, it's a general issue porting numbers to any canadian wireless provider.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

rampantdragaon

Finally finished  took about 4 days from start to finish.  but everything working now.  I had no mobile phone service for about 2 days, that is something to note.

srlawren

Thanks @Shazia_K!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @srlawren

He's been taken cared of, just waiting for him to reply to my private message 🙂

Thanks for checking in. 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

srlawren

@Shazia_K or @Mary_M, can you please help @rampantdragaon with his or her porting issue?

rampantdragaon

Understand how it works now, thanks,  tried to port number and got below error

We are experiencing difficulties in processing this request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance.

srlawren

Hi @rampantdragaon, if I understand your questions correctly.....

1) You have a current PM account, which has a phone number--let's call it (123) 456-7890, and you do some calling and/or texting with this phone number

2) You also have a VoIP account through some VoIP provider, which has it's own phone number--let's call it (123) 765-4321, which you use for some calling and/or texting

3) You are interested in portin your VoIP phone number over to your PM accont

4) You want to know if your PM phone number would still be active once the port completes

Is this correct?

If so, then I would say NO, your PM phone number on your PM service would get *replaced* with your VoIP phone number once the port completes.  At that point in time your PM phone number would no longer be in service, and you would not receive any calls or texts on that number.  Any calling or texting done use your PM SIM would be using your previously-VoIP phone number.

If I did understand your question (I may not have!), then hopefully this answers your question?

imm1304

Thanks for the clarification @Shazia_K, good to know for future reference.  

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @rampantdragaon

Thank you for reaching out to the community, 

Actually, a port from a voip service takes the same amount of time as would a landline number port take (2 full business days) but like @imm1304 said, in some rare cases it could take longer. 

If it has been more than 2 business days, I would suggest you contact me via private message and send me the number in concern. I will investigate on this and see what is taking so long. 

Your temporary PM number should work in the time being. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

imm1304

I do not have experience with a port that took days.  However, I am pretty sure that your existing PM number will continue to work while in the middle of the transfer.  

Would @Shazia_K or @Mary_M confirm this point for us?  Thanks.

Your voip number will continue to work normally in its original place until the port is complete.

How will you know?  There is usually an sms sent to you confirming the port is complete.  There may also be an email from your voip provider notifying you that the account is closed.  Also, the voip line will stop working and incoming calls to the voip number will ring on your PM phone.  

rampantdragaon

will my old number continue to work on public mobile, and how will i know when changed

imm1304

Hey @rampantdragaon,

The process is the same.  You will need your voip account number and PIN (if available) and just submit a Number transfer request from selfserve.

Sign into your account:  https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

Click on "Plans & Add-ons" and then click on "Change Phone Number" and take it from there.  

Just be warned that voip number transfers usually take upto 2 weeks to process... this is beyond PM's control.  Its the way the voip company is set up that causes the delay.  

Need Help? Let's chat.