cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer my number but keep my service

dande
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would like to port out my number to a different provider but at the same time, I would like to give my current plan to my son. Would I be able to use the "change my number" transfer my number? 

Should I be signing up with the new provider with a temp number first? How should I proceed to not have my public mobile account closed?

4 REPLIES 4

dande
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you I will try my luck with Koodo then. 

I just need the ability to receive SMS when I travel internationally (in Asia) because I might need to travel a couple times a year with my new work. It's a shame that public doesn't work but I really don't want to change my number. I guess I would have to forfeit all my rewards then.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

OK, so this is 'technically' not possible @dande , especially if you're moving to Bell or Rogers or another major competitor.

However, if you are moving to a TELUS group of providers (TELUS or Koodo), you may have a chance.

You'd need to first arrange it with them by asking them to draw upon your number to their service after you change it with Public Mobile and they may be able to if it was originally a TELUS group number.

Cooperation with the new mobile provider is crucial to giving this a chance of working.  I wouldn't go ahead and change the number until they provide you with some reassurance that they can draw upon the number.  And whatever you do, DON'T port your existing number to the new provider as that will close the Public Mobile account completely and it'll be history.

Good luck and let us know if this might be your situation.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@dande   Sorry but that's not allowed to be done here or a lot of people would probably do it.   But I'm glad to see that you were smart enough to ask about it first, before doing the port out already.

Good for you.  I hope you find a good resolution.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dande   Sorry, but that's not possible because as soon as you port out your number, your PM account will close.  You can choose a new number with the new carrier and give your son the PM number if you don't mind the number change?

Need Help? Let's chat.