cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer home phone number (currently with Bell) to Public Mobile

deskinkle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a home phone with Bell in (705) area code.  It never gets used, so I would like to transfer my home phone number to my cell phone which is a (613) area code.  Will Bell allow me to port that number?  Or do I have to cancel this number and start over to port that number to a cell phone?  I am guessing I would then have to wait for a new SIM card??? 

10 REPLIES 10

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I recently ported a Bell landline to PM.

I went through a moderator.

You need Bell Acct#, Name on Bell Acct, phone number, full address of Bell service. My Bell acct was active. 

The one thing I will note is that my Bell line had 3 phone numbers on the acct - 2 extra i-denta-call numbers. I pulled out one of the i-denta-call numbers (not the main number). After the port, the Bell acct remained active and PM was able to pull out the correct number.   I have since also ported out the main number and now the Bell account is canceled.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@deskinkle You can port most 705 but it doesn't become a 613. A restriction for porting is Public has to do phone numbers for the same city as your 705. Others would be calling long distance if they are calling from near Ottawa.

If you port your home number to your Public Mobile account, keep in mind you will lose your current Public Mobile number.

You may also consider porting your landline number to Fongo Home Phone (VoIP) for $6/mo and have it simultaneously ring your cel, or even cheaper voip.ms for about $1/mo and a few cents per minute for any actual usage like simple forwarding.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@deskinkle wrote:

I have a home phone with Bell in (705) area code.  It never gets used, so I would like to transfer my home phone number to my cell phone which is a (613) area code.  Will Bell allow me to port that number?  Or do I have to cancel this number and start over to port that number to a cell phone?  I am guessing I would then have to wait for a new SIM card??? 

@deskinkle  Yes you can port your number using you existing PM sim card.

We recommend to take the following steps if you need to port-in a number:

• Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:
    1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:
  • Complete billing address.
  • Alternate Phone number that you can be reached at other than your current Public Mobile number just in case there is an issue
  • First and last name of the Bell account holder

To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link and type in “port request” to be put in touch with a Moderator.  Include the info from above.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Not sure why it hasn't been fixed

You're wondering??!!

🙂

@benfattoand @iliketotalk, yes you will still need a moderator to assist with the port.  I keep forgetting about this issue that has now been going on so long.  Not sure why it hasn't been fixed

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@deskinkle wrote:

Yes, you can port your landline, and no don't cancel it as it needs to be active to port.  You need to log into your self serve and go to change number.  It will ask you if you are bringing over a landline number or from another cellular provider.  A landline port can take up to 7 days to complete.

@ShawnC13 hello as far as I know you need a moderators assistance to port a number the self serve porting has been broke for months 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13  I thought porting to an active PM account required moderator assistance; or has that been fixed?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@deskinkle wrote:

I have a home phone with Bell in (705) area code.  It never gets used,

@deskinkle If you really want to port then do what @ShawnC13 said. I have to ask though, if your home number never gets used why port it over to your cell and lose the cell number that I assume everyone calls you on? I had a bell home phone and just outright cancelled it as I never used it either.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@deskinkle wrote:

Yes, you can port your landline, and no don't cancel it as it needs to be active to port.  You need to log into your self serve and go to change number.  It will ask you if you are bringing over a landline number or from another cellular provider.  A landline port can take up to 7 days to complete.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.